Hong Kong animal owners are being warned against frozen or raw pet food after salmonella was found in some test samples.
These came from two Australian brands – Big Dog and Doctor B’s.
Michael Hui, chairman of the council’s publicity and community relations committee, said pets infected with salmonella could suffer diarrhea, vomiting and fever.
Their owners may be vulnerable to infection when exposed to contaminated food containers and feces.
Hong Kong does not regulate pet food quality and it has no mechanism for product recalls.