A Heanor holidaymaker is taking legal action against a travel company after he contracted food poisoning which turned birthday celebration into a “nightmare.”
James, a HGV driver, said: “We booked this holiday as a way of celebrating my birthday and we’d been looking forward to it for a long time.
“But, in truth, it turned into a nightmare for both of us.
“I suffered terrible symptoms at the hotel, during our flight home and when I got back to the UK. The illness meant half the holiday was ruined for both of us.
“I had to take some extra time of work to recover from the symptoms and I still don’t feel completely right.
“We hope that by taking legal action we’ll find out what caused me to fall ill and how I came to test positive for Campylobacter.
“What was supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing trip turned into a bit of a nightmare and spoilt what should have been a celebratory holiday.”
A First Choice spokesperson said: “First Choice is sorry to hear of Mr and Mrs Gratton’s experience.
“As this is now subject to legal proceedings, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.
“We closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.”