The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department announced October 12 that a sample of roast pork taken from a licensed restaurant was found to contain a pathogen, Salmonella. The CFS is following up on the case.
A spokesman for the CFS said, “The CFS collected the above-mentioned sample at a restaurant with a general restaurant licence in Shatin for testing under its routine Food Surveillance Programme. The test result showed the presence of Salmonella in 25 grams of the sample, exceeding the standard of the Microbiological Guidelines for Food which states that Salmonella should not be detected in 25g of food,” a CFS spokesman said.
The spokesman said that the CFS had notified the food premises concerned of the unsatisfactory test result and instructed it to stop selling the affected food item immediately.
The CFS has also provided health education on food safety and hygiene to the person-in-charge and staff of the food premises, requested it to review and improve the food production process and carry out thorough cleaning and disinfection.