More than 300 people were treated for suspected food poisoning after they ate Banh Mi, a Vietnamese sandwich.
“They were vomiting and experiencing diarrhea. All of them ate Banh Mi. Some victims who came from remote areas were feeling so weak,” the doctor said.
Banh Mi, Vietnamese for bread, consists of a baguette with tomato, cucumber, onion, homemade liver, pork and butter, among others. It is Vietnam’s most recognized food after “pho”.
Bugay said Morong is noted for the sandwich and not only visitors but even local folks patronize the stores selling it.
Morong Mayor Cynthia Estanislao ordered the closure of Banh-Mian ni Raven, a store near the municipal hall, where all the victims bought the sandwich from, while an investigation was ongoing.
Attempt by the Philippine News Agency (PNA) to contact the owners in their house in Morong failed.
Bugay, however, said that according to the store owner, the 300 sandwiches they prepared for the day were all sold out.
She said Banh Mi is big and is often shared by two persons so she estimated that not only 300 persons were affected.