‘I was really scared for him’ 4-year-old among Edmonton E. coli outbreak

A four-year-old boy has had a rough go since contracting E. coli at a south Edmonton Filipino restaurant two weeks ago.

Alberta Health Services (AHS) said at least five people were infected with E. coli after eating at Mama Nita’s Binalot since March 15.

Angela Jung & Diego Romero of CTV Edmonton report a local family says they all got sick after eating there on March 18, but their youngest, Shawn, was the only one diagnosed.

“First, he started having cramps the most, but we all felt off,” his father, Jason Patterson, said. “I was afraid; I was really scared for him.”

His parents said he had cramps, looked pale, lacked an appetite, and had blood in his stool. He went to the hospital four times.

“It’s very heartbreaking to watch him cry in so much pain and going to the washroom every 5-15 minutes,” Shawn’s mother, Melanie Salas-Patterson, told CTV News.