E. coli was found in a water pool that is close to the infected area on Askøy. Nearly 100 primary school students have been sick Friday, and several have been admitted to hospital.
Later on Friday, Haukeland Hospital reported that it is campylobacter bacteria that cause intestinal infection, which has been detected in admitted from Askøy. Campylobacter is a bacterium that E-coli often finds along with.
Isbjørn Is has used the water in the municipality both in the products and for cleaning equipment. Kolseth explains that all the products in which it enters water are heat treated – so that no pathogenic bacteria can survive. However, they use lower temperature water for rinsing and cleaning parts and smaller equipment.
– This means that there can potentially be poor quality water on parts of our equipment when production starts. We have to have full control of this, says Kolseth.