And yet, hours after returning from Turtle Bay on June 13, he became delirious, vomiting, and struggling to breathe.
His daughter Kim took him to a clinic, where doctors said it looked like heat stroke.
But the next morning, he was taken to hospital, where he tested positive for vibrio, an aggressive type of bacteria that eats away at muscle and tissue.
His right arm, where the infection started, was ‘skinned like a deer,’ Kim told SanAntonio.com.
Despite amputating his arm and leg, and putting him in a medically-induced coma, doctors could not defeat the infection.
‘I’m still a little shocked and in disbelief,’ Kim told the site.
‘Dad was a wonderful family man who loved to hunt and fish and do things out in the water.’
She added: ‘We’ve been coming here [to Turtle Bay] for years and this is just an unfortunate thing that happened.’