The kitchen at a North Wales Chinese restaurant had the worst standard of cleanliness seen by food safety inspectors, a hygiene report reveals.
Lydia Morris of the Daily Post writes that the Sleepy Panda in Wrexhamregained (gotta love the Welsh language) its long-held five star hygiene rating in January after it plummeted to zero following a grim inspection in October 2019 .
Despite requesting the inspector’s official report in November 2019 through the Freedom of Information Act, Wrexham Council denied the information.
However, it has today shared the document with North Wales Live , revealing the “extremely poor standard of cleanliness” that led to the temporary closure of the restaurant last year.
The town centre restaurant considered to be “one of the best in the area” has since reopened, and has held a five star hygiene since January 25 .
However, following the October inspection, food safety officials noted the restaurant had “almost total non-compliance with statutory obligations”.
“The standard of cleaning to the structure was extremely poor to the point where both myself and my colleague not seen a kitchen with such a poor standard of cleanliness,” the report says.
As well as cooked duck and other food items being stored on the floor, cooked rice was also found to have been left out at room temperature.
Cooked chicken, beef and duck were also being stored at room temperature – supporting what the report called “the growth of food poisoning”.