When an employee dies, do not continue to prepare food

A Wolverhampton Magistrates Court in the U.K.banned 45-year-old Jaswinder Singh from working with food ever again after court heard he carried on cooking in a fly-infested prep room at Pappu Sweet Centre & Catering despite the sudden death of one of his workers.

District Judge Martin Brown said,

"The facts in this case are extraordinarily serious, they are about as grave as one might get in such a case."

The catalogue of horrors at the Cannock Road business also included staff smoking and spitting on the floor; a rodent infestation with a dead rat found under a pan in the kitchen; refrigerators running at more than 68F (20OC); mouldy food; and filthy conditions.

Singh, who lives in Prosser Street, Park Village, was banned from managing any food business in the future and ordered to pay £3,861 in fines and costs.

He was caught cooking next to the dead worker in August by a police officer investigating the employee’s sudden death. The Pc was so disgusted, he immediately closed the premises.

Singh, unrepresented in court, has owned the business since 1996. He was also fined £2,000 for poor hygiene in 2001. He yesterday admitted 12 food hygiene charges – two of failing to have procedures to control pests.

Singh told the city’s magistrates court he should get "one last chance.”