Working with animals at petting zoo and then working in café in same clothes is bad idea

The owners of a U.K. petting zoo accused of animal welfare offences and bad food safety have withdrawn their application for a zoo licence.

Northern Echo reports that Tweddle Children’s Animal Farm, in Blackhall Colliery, County Durham, has also removed some of its more exotic animals.

Earlier this year, the council’s environmental health officers and the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs visited the farm following an undercover investigation by the Captive Animals Protection Society. The charity said it had found traces of E coli and dead animals decomposing near a children’s play area.

It also said the bodies of dead animals, including a meerkat and tortoise, had been stored in a freezer on top of food for animals, while staff working with animals were working in the cafe wearing the same clothes.

Tweedle also did not have the required licence for a zoo.

The council said no traces of E coli were reported but head teachers who may have been planning school visits were warned about its investigation.

Fish freezer containing corpse in Ireland ‘passed 20 inspections’

All those people doing the Potomac two-step in Washington, wanting more food safety inspections, ignoring the advice of former Food and Drug Administration food safety czar Davis Acheson, who said earlier this week, “there is a lot more to ensuring a food supply than writing laws,” and that “food safety is cultural,” may be interested to know that health inspectors and Department of Marine officials in Ireland carried out up to 20 routine inspections of a large fish shop freezer but failed to notice a man’s body hidden there for five years (that’s actor Frank Sivero, right, as Frank Carbone after he’s been iced in the 1990 movie, Goodfellas).

The body of 52-year-old Patrick McCormack was hidden in a bin in the walk-in freezer at the back of a fish shop in Galway after he was killed by a criminal associate.

The body was discovered in June 2007 when the fish shop owner went to tidy the large freezer ahead of an inspection by the Department of the Marine.

A 45-year-old Galway man, Edward Griffin, from Cimín Mór, Cappagh Road, Knocknacarra, is serving eight years for the manslaughter of McCormack. Griffin, who worked in the fish shop for several years, left a few months before the body was discovered.

The Central Criminal Court heard this year that Griffin and McCormack were in the drugs business but had a row which led to Griffin killing McCormack with a wheel brace.

Ali Jalilvand, owner of the Mermaid Fishmongers at Henry Street, told the inquest how he had discovered Mr McCormack’s body when he went to carry out a routine inspection. Mr Jalilvand, an Iranian, who has lived in Ireland for the past 30 years, said he became sick when he discovered the body hidden in a bin underneath boxes of frozen fish.

He said that the freezer was a large walk-in room and, questioned by Dr McLoughlin, estimated that health and marine officials had carried out 15 to 20 inspections of the freezer during the time the body was there

When an employee dies, do not continue to prepare food

A Wolverhampton Magistrates Court in the U.K.banned 45-year-old Jaswinder Singh from working with food ever again after court heard he carried on cooking in a fly-infested prep room at Pappu Sweet Centre & Catering despite the sudden death of one of his workers.

District Judge Martin Brown said,

"The facts in this case are extraordinarily serious, they are about as grave as one might get in such a case."

The catalogue of horrors at the Cannock Road business also included staff smoking and spitting on the floor; a rodent infestation with a dead rat found under a pan in the kitchen; refrigerators running at more than 68F (20OC); mouldy food; and filthy conditions.

Singh, who lives in Prosser Street, Park Village, was banned from managing any food business in the future and ordered to pay £3,861 in fines and costs.

He was caught cooking next to the dead worker in August by a police officer investigating the employee’s sudden death. The Pc was so disgusted, he immediately closed the premises.

Singh, unrepresented in court, has owned the business since 1996. He was also fined £2,000 for poor hygiene in 2001. He yesterday admitted 12 food hygiene charges – two of failing to have procedures to control pests.

Singh told the city’s magistrates court he should get "one last chance.”