Maggots on Big Mac in NZ?

The New Zealand Herald reports that Northland health authorities are investigating a complaint from Lianne Tansley after her 15-year-old son, Issac, claims a burger sold at the Whangarei’s Bank St McDonald’s was filled with maggots.

Isaac ordered a Big Mac and cheeseburger from the drive-through on New Year’s Day. He finished the cheeseburger but didn’t start eating the Big Mac until he and his mother were nearly at their Whangarei Heads home.

"He took the top bun off to take out the gherkin, and then he said, ‘My God, Mum, look at this’," said Lianne Tansley. "The whole patty was moving as if it was alive. It was gross." When she rang McDonald’s a manager took her name and contact details and asked her to bring the burger back in to be replaced. "I said, ‘No thanks, I’m never eating there again’."

Nine days later, after Tansley sent a photograph of the burger to the Northland District Health Board and the Northern Advocate newspaper, McDonald’s regional operations manager Sanjay Kumar rang her.

He apologised for the delay and said the matter hadn’t been brought to his attention, she said.

McDonald’s national communications manager Kate Porter said it was unlikely maggots could have hatched in the beef patties, which were cooked from frozen when orders were placed.

The restaurant apologized to the mother and given her $135 of vouchers for more burgers.