McLovin (not): McDonald’s customer finds human teeth in her food in Japan

A customer who bought a Big Mac meal in Japan was shocked to discover a human tooth in the fries – in the latest food safety scandal that has led to plummeting sales in the country this year. 

mclovinJapanese officials apologized to the customer for the incident, which occurred in August last year, and said none of the employees at the branch in question had lost a tooth.

They added there were no signs the tooth had been fried – and said they are investigating how it came to be in the fries.

Senior executive Takehiko Aoki said: ‘To make such cases zero is our goal. We are doing our utmost to tackle them, one by one.’

He added: ‘I will eat McNuggets. I will feed McNuggets to my children. I have no doubts.’

McDonald’s is extremely popular in Japan with more than 3,000 restaurants. 

But a series of recent scares, including customers finding fillings and plastic in chicken nuggets, has led to the company reporting its first annual operating loss in Japan.

Sales for January fell by a record 39%, and over the course of 2014, losses totaled 6.7billion yen – or $57 million. This is compared with an operating profit of 11.5billion yen a year earlier.

Label old beef(s)

I have a friend who was a dairy farmer for decades and he refused to eat at McDonald’s.

He likes hamburgers and all, he just couldn’t stand the thought of his spent Holsteins being served as a Big Mac.

Some types in the Australian beef industry feel the same way.

The Courier Mail in Brisbane reports that backers of truth-in-labeling legislation aimed at ensuring old cow meat is clearly labeled as such are concerned industry representatives will succeed in destroying the intent of the legislation.

They are worried that a register being drawn up in response to the legislation will only make buying beef in the supermarket even more confusing for consumers.

Once passed, the terminology would apply to meat sold in supermarkets and butchers around the country.

Consultant to the truth-in-labelling legislation, Norman Hunt, said vested industry interests who did not want consumers to realize they were buying beef from old cows were to blame.

The Aus-Meat domestic retail beef register, drawn up earlier this month, is proposing to change the much-maligned "budget" label, used to describe beef from cattle 10 years old, to "economy".

Under existing law in Queensland, abattoirs must label old cow meat "manufacturing" grade but retailers are then able to market it as prime cut under the "budget" grading.

Government adviser, Red Meat Advisory Council secretary Justin Toohey said it was impossible to provide a guide to eating quality of meat to consumers based on a whole of animal approach, adding,

"The trouble is every muscle has to be graded individually for this sort of thing to be a success. An eye-fillet from an eight-tooth cow could be beautiful eating, for example."

Maggots on Big Mac in NZ?

The New Zealand Herald reports that Northland health authorities are investigating a complaint from Lianne Tansley after her 15-year-old son, Issac, claims a burger sold at the Whangarei’s Bank St McDonald’s was filled with maggots.

Isaac ordered a Big Mac and cheeseburger from the drive-through on New Year’s Day. He finished the cheeseburger but didn’t start eating the Big Mac until he and his mother were nearly at their Whangarei Heads home.

"He took the top bun off to take out the gherkin, and then he said, ‘My God, Mum, look at this’," said Lianne Tansley. "The whole patty was moving as if it was alive. It was gross." When she rang McDonald’s a manager took her name and contact details and asked her to bring the burger back in to be replaced. "I said, ‘No thanks, I’m never eating there again’."

Nine days later, after Tansley sent a photograph of the burger to the Northland District Health Board and the Northern Advocate newspaper, McDonald’s regional operations manager Sanjay Kumar rang her.

He apologised for the delay and said the matter hadn’t been brought to his attention, she said.

McDonald’s national communications manager Kate Porter said it was unlikely maggots could have hatched in the beef patties, which were cooked from frozen when orders were placed.

The restaurant apologized to the mother and given her $135 of vouchers for more burgers.