Buffalo family finds maggots in Chinese take-out

A local family sits down for dinner and finds unwelcomed guests at the table – maggots in their Chinese take-out

chinese-kitchen-buffalo-2158198“Don’t go to Chinese Kitchen because their kitchen is filthy,” said Maria Marti who ordered the food.

Marti and her two daughters are sick to their stomachs after ordering Chinese food delivery Friday night only to discover it was full of maggots and they had already started eating.

“I was like, there’s some kind of worm in this food. What is it? And I had to keep looking at it and I’m like, this is a worm. It kinda looked like a caterpillar and then I look and I’m like, these are maggots! I counted at least a dozen and then I stopped after that,” said Marti.

It was Maria’s 12 year old daughter Marlena who first spotted the critters.

Maria immediately snapped some pictures and called the restaurant to complain.

Seven Eyewitness News went to the restaurant looking for answers on Saturday. Once inside the Chinese Kitchen Restaurant located at 224 Elmwood Avenue, we showed employees the pictures of the maggots and asked them what the tiny objects were.

The workers said they had no idea what it was and said that Maria was the only customer to complain.

However, the restaurant said they gave Maria a refund and one cook seemed to indicate that this has happened before.

“I say that happened before because when we cut the broccoli…they find out some of them there’s things from the vegetables. I can’t do anything,” said Brian Weng.

According to the Erie County Health Department’s restaurant inspection database, The Chinese Kitchen had five health inspection violations in May and one critical violation issued for a 60 pound bowl of raw chicken left out and un-refrigerated.

The other violations were for dirty surfaces and food left un-covered and un-protected.

Video shows apparent maggot in Tennessee school lunch

Maggots reportedly found in school lunches at Overton High School have students concerned about their safety when it comes to their daily meals. Students say if there was one, there could be many.

In the Instagram video, you can see a student’s mystery meal waiting to be eaten when an apparent maggot pops out and squirms around on the plate.

Shelby County Schools sent WMC Action News 5 the following statement regarding the incident Monday:

“A student reported that they found what appeared to be an insect on their meal. School and district staff have since conducted a thorough inspection of the cafeteria and kitchen to ensure that no other meals were contaminated. They found that no additional food items were compromised.”

However, on Monday another Overton High School student reported to our newsroom there were more maggots found in a school lunch.
WFSB 3 Connecticut

Maggot infestation at Melbourne’s Sushi Sushi

Sushi Sushi at Maribyrnong’s Highpoint shopping centre apparently served a Melbourne student a crispy chicken roll infested with maggots, the latest of many food hygiene infringements from the Japanese food franchise.

“I looked and saw two things wiggling around,” recounted Chloe McSaveney. “I spat out what I had in my mouth.”

She claims that when she confronted store workers they simply threw the roll in the bin and SushiSushi_logooffered a refund for her meal.

Highpoint centre management staff retrieved the offending roll and presented it to local health inspectors for testing. Lab results confirmed the presence of fly larvae.

While Maribyrnong Council environmental health officer Jonathan Brett admitted that “the presence of a maggot is unlikely to cause physical harm,” McSaveney is still reeling from the encounter.

“The mental side of things is still affecting me now,” she told The Age. “I’m having trouble eating – I’m only eating about half of what I normally eat, and I’m struggling to be confident my food isn’t ridden with maggots.”

Sushi Sushi’s general manager Paul Grixti originally claimed that “in 15 years of trading … this was the first food safety incident they have ever had.” However, public records tell a different story.

In March of this year, the owner of Sushi Sushi’s Glenferrie store was fined $18,000 for nine food hygiene offences. The charges included a failure to take all practical measures to keep pests from the eatery’s premises.

Last year the Sushi Sushi outlet at Doncaster’s Stockland The Pines Shopping Centre was also charged for “a couple of procedures that weren’t followed,” according to a backtracking Grixti.

The apologetic general manager insisted that he did not mean that Sushi Sushi had never breached food safety rules, just that it was the first case where fly larvae was found in the franchise’s food.

Maggots on Big Mac in NZ?

The New Zealand Herald reports that Northland health authorities are investigating a complaint from Lianne Tansley after her 15-year-old son, Issac, claims a burger sold at the Whangarei’s Bank St McDonald’s was filled with maggots.

Isaac ordered a Big Mac and cheeseburger from the drive-through on New Year’s Day. He finished the cheeseburger but didn’t start eating the Big Mac until he and his mother were nearly at their Whangarei Heads home.

"He took the top bun off to take out the gherkin, and then he said, ‘My God, Mum, look at this’," said Lianne Tansley. "The whole patty was moving as if it was alive. It was gross." When she rang McDonald’s a manager took her name and contact details and asked her to bring the burger back in to be replaced. "I said, ‘No thanks, I’m never eating there again’."

Nine days later, after Tansley sent a photograph of the burger to the Northland District Health Board and the Northern Advocate newspaper, McDonald’s regional operations manager Sanjay Kumar rang her.

He apologised for the delay and said the matter hadn’t been brought to his attention, she said.

McDonald’s national communications manager Kate Porter said it was unlikely maggots could have hatched in the beef patties, which were cooked from frozen when orders were placed.

The restaurant apologized to the mother and given her $135 of vouchers for more burgers.