Virginia newborn dies of Listeria

A Prince George couple is mourning the loss of their first child, just days after the little girl was born. Kennedy Grace Briggs died of Listeria at just six days old.

Listeria is listed on Kennedy’s death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, Jenae Briggs, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.

However, it’s not clear if scientists will ever be able to trace the food source, in Kennedy’s case. The Virginia Department of Health hasn’t linked any Listeria cases to recent voluntary recalls. Regardless, Jenae wants other expecting couples to understand the risks associated with the illness, and how to guard against it.

“We have had to suffer the worst thing you could possibly ever imagine because of it. And so you want people to be aware of it,” said Jenae.
WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL