Germ-riddled bandicoots are terrorizing parents across northern Sydney by infecting their young children with dangerous Salmonella.
The warning comes after 19 toddlers fell violently ill with gastroenteritis last year after ingesting Salmonella java found in bandicoot poop. The problem is so severe that Pittwater Council has had to close three parks and spend $285,000 replacing contaminated sand.
The northern beaches council recently sent out flyers to residents advising them how to bandicoot-proof their backyards with fine, galvanised fencing buried 15cm deep to keep the bug-carrying critters out and children safe.
Council general manager Mark Ferguson said that three playgrounds had been temporarily closed owing to the bandicoot bacteria.
“In each case NSW Health advised us to close the parks due to cases of gastroenteritis in young children caused by Salmonella java,” Mr Ferguson told The Daily Telegraph.