Blame bandicoot poop: 2 kids sick from Salmonella-in-sand in Sydney’s northern beaches

Bandicoots have a bifurcated penis.

And are Salmonella factories.

In 2014, at least 19 people were sickened after coming into contact with bandicoot poop while playing in the sand in Sydney’s northern beaches.

It’s happened again.

Julie Cross of The Daily Telegraph reports a playground on the northern beaches has been closed after two children became sick with salmonella after playing in the sandpit.

The children caught the infection, believed to be spread through contact with bandicoot droppings, after playing at Warriewood Valley Rocket Park in Casuarina Drive.

Now Northern Beaches Council says it is considering replacing the sand with rubber to prevent the problem recurring.

The former Pittwater Council spent $285,000 replacing playground sand contaminated by the nasty bug with a soft rubber surface.

As well as spreading salmonella java, the protected bandicoot is a known tick host, which can cause mammalian meat and tick allergies and other diseases.

Northern Sydney Local Health District public health director Michael Staff said as the peninsula was a stronghold of the bandicoot, most cases of the salmonella java bug was linked to the area.

There have been 12 reported cases linked to the peninsula this year.

“We hope that the closure of the park will prevent further cases,” Dr Staff said.

The health district said a sand sample taken from the playground was tested after two confirmed salmonella java cases were reported to the public health unit, one in April and another in May.

Northern Sydney Local Health District director of public health Dr Michael Staff said parents of young children should try and stop them putting their hands in their mouths when they’re playing outside and get them to wash their hands after they have been outside.


But they’re so cute: Bandicoots across northern Sydney infecting children with Salmonella

Germ-riddled bandicoots are terrorizing parents across northern Sydney by infecting their young children with dangerous Salmonella.

salm.bandicoot.aust.feb15NSW Health and a Sydney council have advised residents to modify their fences to stop bandicoots from burrowing into their properties.

The warning comes after 19 toddlers fell violently ill with gastroenteritis last year after ingesting Salmonella java found in bandicoot poop. The problem is so severe that Pittwater Council has had to close three parks and spend $285,000 ­replacing contaminated sand.

The northern beaches council ­recently sent out flyers to residents ­advising them how to bandicoot-proof their backyards with fine, ­galvanised fencing buried 15cm deep to keep the bug-carrying critters out and children safe.

Council general manager Mark Ferguson said that three playgrounds had been temporarily closed owing to the bandicoot bacteria.

“In each case NSW Health advised us to close the parks due to cases of gastroenteritis in young children caused by Salmonella java,” Mr Ferguson told The Daily Telegraph.

19 sick; Salmonella outbreak in Sydney linked to bandicoot droppings

Bandicoots have a bifurcated penis.

And are apparently Salmonella factories.

bandicoot.sydneyAn outbreak of Salmonella cases in children on the northern beaches in Sydney is being blamed on bandicoot droppings.

Northern Sydney Local Health District director of public health Dr Michael Staff said cases of the potentially deadly bacterial infection were rare, but there had been an unexplained spike that began in February.

“So far this year we’ve had 19 cases confirmed and while some have been traced to play area sand, it appears that many children may have been infected by contact with bandicoot droppings,” Dr Staff said.

The Northern Sydney Public Health Unit inspected the backyards of several patients and found bandicoot droppings collected at one property tested positive for the Salmonella Java.

Chicken wire mesh at least 50cm high and 15cm would stop bandicoots entering backyards.