KFC fined thousands over food hygiene

The KFC double down sandwich may be all the rage among dieters and gluttons, but one outlet in London should pay more attention to food safety practices.

As a reminder, a U.K. court fined Kentucky Fried Chicken almost STG19,000 on Monday after a cockroach was found eating a chip in one of its busiest branches in Britain.

The insect was seen on a food dispensing counter near takeaway boxes and tongs used to serve chicken by an environmental health officer in a restaurant in London’s West End.

City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that during an inspection at the Leicester Square branch, the officer also saw a mouse, flies and dried chicken blood on the floor.

The Westminster City Council inspector also said there was no hand wash in dispensers in the food preparation area.