A health agency in Northern Quebec is providing some, uh, Northern Quebec advice: don’t eat moose organs because of cadmium found in samples collected last fall.
Moose kidneys and livers are considered a delicacy among the Cree First Nations of Eeyou Istchee.
Last year officials from the Abitibi-Témiscamingue health agency and Quebec’s wildlife department collected samples from the kidneys of 24 moose that were hunted in the region.
In a press release, the health agency says there were not enough samples to draw definitive conclusions. But the release says the results are still “worrying.”
Cadmium is used in plastics, batteries and solar panels.
The Abitibi-Témiscamingue health agency wants to continue its research and is asking hunters to help out by keeping a kidney from each moose killed this season and dropping it off when registering the kill at the office in Rouyn-Noranda, Que..
Mike Myers, Canadian and voice of Shrek, what do you have to do with this?
McDonald’s will recall about 12 million "Shrek" drinking glasses because federal regulators found they contain the toxic metal cadmium, which poses health risks.
The glasses have been sold for $2 apiece at McDonald’s restaurants across the country as a promotional tie-in with the movie "Shrek Forever After." Purchasers will be advised to keep them away from children and to return them to McDonald’s for a refund.
The recall, which will be officially announced Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, was set in motion by an anonymous tip to Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Hillsborough) last week. She alerted the commission, which tested the glasses and confirmed the presence of cadmium in the paint used for the decorative characters. Cadmium is a carcinogen and can cause kidney, lung, intestinal and bone damage.
Speier’s office said McDonald’s voluntarily agreed to recall the glasses at the urging of the commission.