E. coli in water sickens 11 campers

The Weber-Morgan Health Department said today that E. coli has been found in the water of the Ogden Valley summer camp where 11 girls got sick.

Department spokeswoman Lori Buttars said "we received the confirmations of our tests today, and we found E. coli bacteria in the kitchen water and spigots at Camp Shawnee and Camp Ben Lomond, so we are in the process of working with them to fix that situation, and in the meantime people who go there will need to bring in their own water and use it for everything."

The girls got sick after spending Aug. 2 to 5 at Camp Shawnee. They were part of a group of 45. The girls complained of severe abdominal pain, diarrhea and nausea.

The story does not say what strain of E. coli was involved but a previous story noted a shiga-toxin producing E. coli (STEC) was involved in the ollnesses.

Camp Shawnee and Camp Ben Lomond are girls and boys camps respectively.

They are located near Eden and share a common water system. The camps are owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.