DNA Info reports that an apoplectic pizza parlor patron scratched two of the eatery’s employees after one of them told her they didn’t have pizza with chicken on top, police said.
An employee at Merilu Pizza Al Metro told police she was working at the pizzeria at 791 Ninth Ave. around 12:35 a.m. on Feb. 29 when Divya Viveka, 26, came in and ordered pizza with chicken on top.
After the 49-year-old employee told the Manhattan resident that they didn’t have that kind of pie, the customer became “irate” and scratched the employee’s palm, the worker told police.
The clawing left the employee with a cut and redness on her left palm, a complaint filed with the Manhattan District Attorney’s office said.
When a 39-year-old male employee tried to stop Viveka, she scratched him on his left forearm, leaving him in pain with several scratches, the DA’s office said.
Viveka was arrested and charged with two counts of assault, one count of attempted assault and one count of harassment, the complaint said.
An Oregon City man who told a government hotline last summer his mother had been harmed by bottled water has pleaded guilty to making a false report of consumer product tampering, a federal crime that carries a potential five-year prison term.
He may have been stoned.
The Oregonian reports Curtis A. Purdy, 34 (right, exactly as shown), acknowledged in court papers that he lied last summer to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Consumer Complaint Line about how his mother came to be injured after drinking a bottle of Crystal Geyser water.
Purdy reported to the FDA hotline on Sept. 1 that the water, purchased from an Albertson’s grocery, had caused burns to his mom’s mouth, throat and stomach and that she had vomited and suffered diarrhea, according to a criminal complaint affidavit.
He later told investigators that he had put in the bottle some rubbing alcohol, which he kept around to clean his marijuana pipes. His memory of the incident was hazy, according to the complaint, because he was undergoing opiate withdrawal.
Food contaminated with teeth, zips and washers were among the 10,898 queries and complaints received by the folks that run the food batphone in Ireland in 2010.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland reports that one in four of all calls related to consumers reporting issues concerning food and food establishments. Representing an increase of over 7% on 2009, these 2,126 (1,981 in 2009) complaints ranged from reports of unfit food, low hygiene standards, inaccurate labelling information and suspected food poisoning.
The 2,126 complaints lodged by consumers were:
• 914 complaints on unfit food
• 433 complaints on suspect food poisoning
• 402 complaints on hygiene standards
• 156 complaints on incorrect information on food labeling
• 25 complaints on incorrect advertising of food products
• 196 other.
The FSAI confirms that contamination with foreign objects was frequently reported by consumers. In 2010, these reports included food contaminated with live and dead insects; a tooth; a needle; safety pins; stones; and a cotton bud.