Reasons to love Australia: Woman charged with being in charge of a horse while under the influence of liquor

A woman has been arrested for riding a horse into a bottle shop while drunk.

The 51-year-old allegedly rode her mount through the drive-through section of a pub in Logan, Queensland (not far from Brisbane) while more than four times the legal alcohol limit.

Officers from Springwood went to a tavern on Wembley Road at 11.30pm last night after the woman refused to leave.

The female was arrested and taken to Logan Central Police Station, where she allegedly provided a positive reading of 0.226 percent (4X the legal limit).

Officers took the horse to the police station too.

She was charged with being in charge of a horse while under the influence of liquor.

She will appear in Beenleigh Magistrates Court on June 26.

Queensland Police, said: “Police want to remind the public that drink driving does not just mean a vehicle, it can include a horse.”

Drunk Australian arrested after eating someone else’s pie

That’s my pie.

The Southland Times reports a drunk Australian man was arrested for disorderly behavior after he went into a Queenstown bakery and ate another customer’s pie.

The man, 33, who refused to give police his details, was taken to the police station, where he vomited on arrival.

Sergeant Mark Gill said considering the amount of tourists that came through Queenstown at this time of the year, the number of drunk-related incidents sounded a bit worse than it was.

Gill said there was always going to be these sorts of problems, but Australians "as a rule" were generally no worse than New Zealanders or anyone else.

Washington state says, please cook your oysters

I don’t know any food microbiologists who eat raw oysters; they may exist, but maybe I only know the drunks and they know better than to play with Vibrio and its liver-specific toxins.

And every time we post something about raw oysters, producers and government-types say we have no idea what we’re talking about – and provide no data.

So this isn’t me, it’s from the Washington state department of health via Seattlepi, which is telling Washingtonians to thoroughly cook their oysters.

The department says that cooking shellfish until the shells open is not enough for kill harmful bacteria.

Summer’s warmer temperatures mean that levels of the bacteria Vibrio parahaemolyticus increase in state waters. Eating an oyster with the Vibrio bacteria can lead to diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, headache, fever, and chills. It says that symptoms usually appear within 12-24 hours after eating infected shellfish and usually last from two to seven days.

The department recommends oysters should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees for at least 15 seconds to thoroughly kill the bacteria.

Yes, I temp my oysters with a thermometer. Because I know a few drunks and don’t want to kill them.

I was so hammered, I could only think about Fillet-o-Fish; I woke up in jail

Sometimes you’re so drunk, the only thing that makes sense is a Fillet-o-Fish sandwich.

A 21-year-old woman was charged with drunk driving after cops found her passed out in her car at the McDonalds drive-thru in Chatham, Ontario (that’s in Canada), waiting for her fish relief.

Police said staff reported the woman at about 5:20 a.m. Saturday morning after she placed her order.

Police said the officer could strongly smell alcohol when he woke the woman up from her hungry slumber behind the wheel.

She was taken to the station for a breathalyzer test and charged with drunk driving.

Tools to keep hands pathogen-free can have unintended uses: teens drinking sanitizer

I received a bunch of my food safety education while working with fruit and vegetable farmers in southern Ontario (that’s in Canada). Sure, I learned lots of stuff in classes, but a lot of my training on practical ways to keep folks from barfing was in greenhouses, fields and orchards. Farmers deal with variability in weather, wildlife, prices and staff. Driving up and down dirt roads and walking through their systems led me to the conclusion that it takes a lot to surprise a producer.

One farmer who figured his staff were one of his biggest weaknesses, invested in a couple of portable restrooms that he was going to cart around to the orchards. He told his staff that they were expected to cease the convention of peeing against a tree. The staff didn’t like the idea of having to stop and walk back to the road where the porta potties were located. So they set them on fire and burned them down. The producer said calling the fire department was an unexpected outcome of his food safety program.

Another producer told me that he had installed fully stocked hands free restrooms in his greenhouse, put boxes of one-use gloves throughout his site and came in one day to see a staff member urinating on the outside of the restroom with his gloves on. Maybe not surprising is that he fired the employee on the spot.

Giving folks tools for risk reduction doesn’t always end up with the intended action. According to AP and USA Today teenagers are buying alcohol-based hand sanitizer, not as a bacterial reduction tool, but as a party drink precursor.

Teenagers are showing up in Los Angeles emergency rooms after drinking inexpensive liquid hand sanitizers to get drunk.
Cheap and easily accessible hand sanitizers contain 62 percent ethyl alcohol.

The Los Angeles Times says six teenagers have shown up in two San Fernando Valley emergency rooms in the last few months with alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer.

Some of the teens used salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, making a potent drink similar to a shot of hard liquor. Distillation instructions can be found on the Internet.

Although there’s only been a few cases, county public health toxicology expert Cyrus Rangan says it could signal a dangerous trend.


Merry Christmas from The Trailer Park Boys

Holidays are all about tradition. After five years in Kansas, Amy and Sorenne and I have settled into a routine of lamb (that was last night), fish, cognac and champagne and no barfing, except 2006, when Amy was so sick we got married.

There’s the television shows: It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Scrooged, endless children’s specials. TBS runs a 24-hour marathon of nothing but the quirky 1983 holiday entry, A Christmas Story. But for us, nothing captures the true meaning of Christmas better than the 2004 Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special.

In this scene (language warning), Ricky extols to the congregation in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (that’s in Canada), about the true meaning of Christmas.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I just had one of those brain-learning things pop into my head. … What is Christmas? I just got out of jail, which was awesome, you know, they don’t have presents and lights and tress, we just get stoned and drunk, it’s the best time. And I get out here and I’m all stressed out.

“… That’s not what Christmas should be, you should be getting drunk and stoned with your friends and family, people that you love. … That’s Christmas. … Getting drunk and stoned with your families and the people that you love. And if you don’t smoke or drink, just spend time with your families. It’s awesome. Merry Christmas.”

Or as Sorenne says, don’t make your friends and family barf with bad food safety.