Couple sue Whole Foods in son’s E. coli death

I’ve said it many times: Whole Foods is too concerned about food porn and not enough about food safety.

AR-141216756According to the Boston Herald a Braintree couple whose 8-year-old son died after allegedly eating ground beef contaminated with a powerful strain of E. coli is suing the grocery chain that sold the meat and the ranch that allegedly produced and processed it.

Melissa and Andrew Kaye yesterday filed suit against Whole Foods Market and Missouri-based Rain Crow Ranch.

“This lawsuit is about bringing awareness to the issue of food safety and forcing change where it needs to be made,” Melissa Kaye told the Herald.

The Kayes bought the grass-fed ground beef that they blame for their son Joshua’s July 7 death at a Whole Foods in South Weymouth, according to the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Boston.

Two other people who bought grass-fed beef from a Whole Foods in Newton also got sick in June, a recall announcement and the lawsuit state.

Whole Foods issued an Aug. 15 recall of ground beef products due to possible E. coli contamination after the state Department of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and federal Food Safety and Inspection Service determined the link.

Whole Foods — which said it couldn’t comment on specifics of the litigation — expressed its “heartfelt condolences” to the boy’s family, but added there is no “clear link” to the business.


Tragic: Oregon girl contracts E. coli; family prepares to say goodbye

Her family describes her as a cute blonde hair firecracker. Sadly today they are preparing to say goodbye.

serena1Serena Profitt is just four years old. Her uncle Travis Harget told KXL after a day of fun with her family in Lincoln City she became very sick. After a short stay at the Lincoln City Hospital she was taken to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital with a life threatening illness.

They diagnosed her with E. coli. Her uncles said her kidneys began to shut down. And he says because it had been so long between the time she got sick last week to the E. coli diagnoses she developed HUS syndrome. She started having minor seizures. The syndrome is attacking her brain. Right now she qualifies as brain dead.

He says doctors will run another test tonight to reassess but the family is preparing to say goodbye.  The question now turns to where the E-Coli infection came from. Travis says during the trip Serena along with a 5-year-old friend shared a Turkey Sandwich at a local restaurant. That five year old also has been diagnosed with E. coli and is in a Tacoma hospital.