After refusing to voluntarily recall raw sprouts linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened at least 21 people, Evergreen Fresh Sprouts has now announced a voluntary recall of Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella.
Owner Nadine Scharf said three days ago, “The FDA encouraged us to do a recall but I said I needed to see hard evidence that our sprouts were involved. They are down to only three cases now. It started out that they thought 20 people were sick, then they dropped that number to six and now it’s down to three. And they say it will be a week before any tests results will be available.”
Guess she got her hard evidence.
As of June 27, 2011, a total of 21 individuals, including three hospitalizations, infected with outbreak strain of Salmonella Enteritidis have been reported from five states: Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, New Jersey, and Washington.
The recalled Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts were distributed in Washington and Idaho by direct delivery to four distributors and three retail stores. The recalled products are coded with Expiration Dates from 06 22 through 07 14. The products being recalled are identified as:
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 4 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00103 7.
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 16 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00108 2.
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 5 lb. bag, no UPC.
· Spicy Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 4 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00102 0.
· Spicy Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 16 oz. or 5 lb. bag, no UPC.