“We don’t really know why everyone is getting sick, but at least a third of the fleet has come down with stomach pains, diarrhea and vomiting,” said Australia’s Olympic gold medallist Nathan Outteridge.
Outteridge’s crewmate Iain Jensen was among those hit by the bug.
Outteridge said the water wasn’t clean and recent thunderstorms and rain had pushed filth onto the race course, which most sailors hadn’t expected in Argentina.
“In Rio everyone knows it’s dirty and takes precautions accordingly and looks after themselves, whereas here everyone gets told it’s just muddy water, but there’s a lot of filth in there as well,” he said.
With one more day of racing before the fleet splits for the men’s skiff 49er finals series, Outteridge and Jensen sit 17th, while Joel Turner and Lewis Brake are in 23rd.
David Gilmour and Rhys Mara follow in 27th, and Will and Sam Phillips are ranked 28th.
AM980 has confirmed an Alert Level Two outbreak has been called for gastrointestinal illness. The outbreak is confined to the 7th floor of the psychiatric ward at Victoria Hospital and the LHSC sent out a memo to staff.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) website contains detailed reports about the outbreaks on cruise ships from 1994 to 2015. The CDC considers it an outbreak anytime 3% or more of the passengers and crew members report diarrheal symptoms onboard a vessel of at least 100 passengers on sailings that are 3 days or longer.
There were nine reported outbreaks of GI on 7 different cruise ships in 2014, tying 2013 with the lowest number of outbreaks since 2001. When you take into consideration that the number of cruise ships is at a record high, this past year saw the lowest percentage of outbreaks on cruise ships since 2001.
Newton County School officials say the large number of students at Oak Hill Elementary School have shown symptoms of gastroenteritis.
The health department recommended closing the school, cleaning it thoroughly and monitoring students who have become ill.
Symptoms of the virus include diarrhea and vomiting. The health department says the symptoms usually develop 24-48 hours after exposure. Most people get better in one to 10 days without medication.
Parents received letters about the closure Thursday night.
Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri spoke to one parent who said she picked up her child early and she saw several sick kids at the school.
Marie Cruse said the school sent her daughter, Anzlee Mandrona home early when she wasn’t feeling well after lunch.
“They went ahead and sent her home for precautionary measures, which was fine because we understand. We’d rather be safe than sorry,” Cruse said. “It’s a really bad virus it lasts anywhere from 1 to 10 days.”
“We are getting on top of that very quickly to prevent it from spreading,” Dr. Young told reporters.
“When you’ve got large groups of people, particularly living in hotels and going to similar restaurants, we just want to sort this out quickly.”
In 1984, the Pope visited the restored 350-year-old Jesuit mission of Ste. Marie-among-the-Hurons in Midland, Ontario (that’s in Canada). After departing,1,600 hungry Ontario Provincial Police officers who had worked the ropes gathered for a boxed lunch. Of those 500 officers who chose ones with roast beef sandwiches, 423 came down with salmonella.
Those officers have shown, over the years, that a touch of the flu — as foodborne illness is often mistakenly called– is more than a couple of days praying at the porcelain goddess of foodborne illness.
Some 5-10 per cent of those police officers have developed reactive arthritis that will plague them for life.
Oh, Bundaberg, we’ve been there and like your rum, but really, 35 residents and 27 staff at an aged care sickened by norovirus?
“The staff did a great job in containing the outbreak,” service manager Hazel Lindholm said.
“It could have been a lot worse.”
The service deployed “bacteria bombs” in its fight against the dangerous virus that swept the facility – a new best-practice infection control solution used across Churches of Christ Care for the past 12 months.
Mr Mason said the bombs had received “exceptional results” for the health and wellbeing of clients in the past.
The bombs release a fog which permeates through all surfaces and furnishings in a room, including down drains and plugholes.
They attack dangerous pathogens including norovirus and H1N1 influenza, with no viruses remaining following a treatment.
“The bombs, which we use in conjunction with normal scrubbing of floors and surfaces as part of infection control procedures, offer cost and time benefits eliminating the need for staff to wash the curtains, bedding and clothing for each resident in each room, which is particularly time consuming and inefficient during an outbreak situation,” Mr Mason said.