ITV news reports a father who became paralysed after contracting a rare illness from food poisoning has issued a warning to others about food safety.
Within a matter of days, he was in an induced coma.
Father-of-two Dai was a keen bodybuilder and fitness fanatic
It was only later that medical staff discovered the fitness fanatic from Bridgend had been suffering from food poisoning campylobacter – which led to the rare autoimmune disorder Guillian-Barré Syndrome.
At his worst point, he found himself unable to breathe without a ventilator and without a voice.
“It’s the scariest thing in the world. You are basically locked in your own body”, Dai said.
“It was horrible, I couldn’t communicate with anyone. I could blink to say yes or no or use a letter card. Then I would use words on a board to spell out certain words.”
Dai has spent the last eight months in hospital and has only recently learned to walk again.
What is Guillain-Barré syndrome?
It is thought to be caused by a problem with the immune system, and can be triggered by infections including food poisoning and the flu as well as by vaccinations, surgery or injury.
Symptoms of the condition include numbness, pins and needles, muscle weakness, and problems with balance and co-ordination.