‘I wouldn’t eat there’ Scottish stadium slated by council after failing food hygiene tests

Hampden Park, Scotland’s National Stadium, a 52,000ish seat venue in Glasgow, has been slammed by food hygiene inspectors over the state of its kitchens.

The Daily Record reports a series of food safety breaches were discovered at Hampden’s hospitality suites, including dirty, crumbling work surfaces, out-of-date food and staff who didn’t know they had to wash their hands.

A head chef with no food hygiene training was employed, bins were uncovered and shoes and trainers were left lying in food preparation areas.

The damning report of the failed inspection also revealed kitchen staff risked poisoning customers by storing raw and ready-to-eat meals in the same vacuum packaging machine.

Hampden’s facilities are used for corporate clients during Scotland games and concerts, with hospitality packages costing up to £2850. This summer, the stadium will host London Olympics football matches.

The kitchens are run by Prestige Scotland, part of the Sodexo catering group.

The inspection by officers from Glasgow City Council was carried out late last year but has only now been made public.

Food safety expert Professor Hugh Pennington said: “This report makes very grim reading and I wouldn’t be going to eat there. There is a whole list of very serious breaches. Employing qualified staff and handwashing are just basic things which they should be getting right. The place was obviously not being run properly and there would have been a real risk of customers getting food poisoning. Storing ready-to-eat and raw foods in the same vacuum packaging machine is known to be a dangerous practice.”