‘It’s hysteria’ 100 girls sickened in Kenya

Over 100 students from Naivasha Girls Secondary School were over the weekend treated for stomach ache and diarrhea.

Naivasha Girls Secondary SchoolThe students developed complications due to what was suspected to be a case of food poisoning. Majority of them were taken to Naivasha Hospital while others were treated on the school compound. Medical officers, however, could not ascertain whether it was a case of of food poisoning or not but alluded that the incident had an element of hysteria.

Of the students affected, two were admitted at the sub-county referral hospital and doctors said were in stable condition. A source said the problem started after a group of students started complaining of stomach ache and diarrhea. “Later, more students reported the same symptoms forcing public health officers to be called in to assess the situation,” said the source.

The officer in charge of the sub-county hospital, Joseph Mburu, said the two cases admitted at the facility were being closely monitored. He said they were suffering from hysteria but were in stable condition and would be released soon. “Though majority of the affected students were complaining of food poisoning, there is an element of hysteria in the whole situation,” said Dr Mburu. County Public Health Officer Samuel King’ori said the situation at the school had been contained.

It wasn’t a lizard, it wasn’t E.coli, it was mass hysteria at school in India

A report released by the Public Health Institute (PHI) on Thursday ruled out the possibility of food poisoning due to Escherichia coli (E-coli) at the Government Urdu Higher Primary School in DJ Halli.

vomit.stand.by.meLaboratory samples of the food collected from the school revealed that microorganisms such as the E-coli bacterium was not found in high numbers. “There is insignificant growth of the bacterium (E-coli). Thus, it cannot cause food poisoning, ” said Dr Ramesh, senior consultant, PHI.

To cause food poisoning, Dr Ramesh said, the E-coli content in food should be more than 1,00,000 Colony Forming Units (CFU) per gram.

However, in the food samples of the midday meal supplied by the Akshaya Patra Foundation of Iskcon, the e-coli content was just 80 to 90 CFU.

Panic attack?

With the possibility of food poisoning nearly ruled out, officials term the incident a mass hysteria.

Dr Rajini, District Health Officer, said, “It was a panic attack. We understand that two children, who had seen the lizard in their food vomited at the sight of it.

When others learnt about it, the subsequent reaction would have followed,” she said, adding that the lizard was not cooked and Salmonella bacteria was not found in the food samples.

Hysteria? There’s a cure for that

Hysteria is what doctors used to diagnose in women who were, um, deprived?

It lead to the invention of the vibrator.

Maggie Gyllenhaal has a movie about it.

Ten days ago, workers at an Al Ruwais labor camp in UAE were admitted to hospital complaining of food poisoning.

At the time, food safety authorities said the laborers were suffering from mass hysteria.

The National now reports that 18 food outlets in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi were charged for food-safety offences after surprise inspections at catering companies and labor camps.

The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority issued warnings to seven establishments and destroyed more than 700 kilograms of food. Only nine of 35 outlets were found to be complying with the authority’s regulations.