UK care home fined after six elderly residents suffer food poisoning

A care home provider has been fined more than £14,000 after six elderly residents fell ill with food poisoning at its Southall home.

beef.pureeAccording to Ealing Council , Life Style Care plc, who operate the Grange Care Centre, in Adrienne Avenue, pleaded guilty to three offences at Ealing Magistrates’ Court on October 1 under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) regulations.

The council said that on December 27 last year, six elderly residents fell ill with food poisoning after eating a puréed beef meal.

Following an investigation by Public Health England (PHE) and Ealing Council, samples from the residents showed traces of the bacteria Clostridium perfringens and its toxins, concluding that the meal increased the risk of being ill 48 times.

The council’s deputy leader and cabinet member for safety, culture and community services, councillor Ranjit Dheer said: “It is so important for businesses to remember that poor food hygiene can have real consequences for their customers.

“This awful case highlights how serious food contamination can be. Had this business reheated the food thoroughly and held it at the right temperature, the outbreak would not have happened.

The company was fined £3,500 for each offence, and order to pay a victim surcharge of £120 and Ealing Council’s costs of £3,795.17, coming to a total of £14,415.17.