Nineteen die in Madagascar after eating turtle

Nineteen people, nine of them children, have died from food poisoning in Madagascar after eating a turtle, sources said Thursday.


Thirty-four people were hospitalized on Monday in Vatomandry, in the east of the island, after eating the protected species, the Health and Food Safety Control Agency said.


Ten of them died, it said.


Another nine people, all of them children, died at home after eating meat from the same turtle, region’s governor said.


Health authorities have warned against eating turtles, as well two dozen species of fish, which feed on algae that can be toxic during the November-March hot season.


Dozens of food poisonings occur each year in coastal Madagascar and deaths are common.

Madagascar: 10 deaths from sea turtle meat

Continuing with the French imperialism theme, after returning from fishing, villagers in the fokontany of Ambavarano, Mahavanona commune in Ansirtanana II shared sea turtle meat

Immediately after the meal, the first symptoms of food poisoning appeared. They did not stop vomiting and were later evacuated to the hospital.

And despite the intensive care that was provided to the sick, 10 people, including a one-year-old, baby, did not survive. According to the explanations, sea turtles were unfit for consumption.

Currently three other villagers are still receiving treatment at the hospital. Local officials conducted a public awareness campaign to prevent the incident from recurring.