Rotting food and animal blood: UK health inspectors close takeaway on the spot

Environmental health officers were left stunned at the filthy state of a shop which was inspected after a customer complained they had seen a rat running across the counter.

takeaway-montageThey found mouse dropping throughout the premises – including on a chopping board and in open sacks of flour – in addition to filthy kitchen equipment and old food stuck to surfaces.

Raw chicken had been washed in a dirty sink and then dipped in dirty water, and blood and food waste, including old pizza dough, was left lying around.

Conditions were so dire, officers ordered staff to close the premises immediately during their visit on November 5 last year, the Manchester Evening News reports.

Shahzad Akthar, the owner of the Central takeaway, on Cromwell Road in Salford, Greater Manchester, was hit with a bill of nearly £3,000 after being hauled before the courts .

He was fined £1,080 and ordered to pay costs of £1,627 and a victim surcharge of £100 and being found guilty of four food safety and hygiene offences at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court.

Inspectors found a ‘clear and active’ mouse infestation with significant amounts of droppings throughout the premises, made worse by large amounts of food on the floor and gaps in walls and doors, giving mice access to food.

The council said it was clear the takeaway had not been properly cleaned for some time.

Officers found rotting food on surfaces and equipment, grease and old food stuck to shelves near the kebab machine, and old grub on the inside of fridges.

The ice cream server and equipment were so dirty there was scum on the surface of the liquid.

A raw meat chopping board was on top of the salad chopping board, and both boards were kept behind a sink in a pool of filthy water.

Staff said they used a shower cleaning product to clean work surfaces and had little knowledge of how to store food at the correct temperatures.

Fancy (sorta) food ain’t safe food: Abdul’s in Manchester edition

Cockroaches and mice were found at two branches of a well-known Manchester fastfood chain, with council chiefs hitting owners with hefty fines totaling nearly £13,000.

abduls.manchesterBosses at Abdul’s outlets in Levenshulme and Rusholme were fined after town hall chiefs discovered filthy conditions and infestations of vermin and insects.

Abdul Ghaffar is the sole proprietor of Abdul’s Levenshulme, at 998 Stockport Road – and director of Bolton-based Express Fast Food Limited, which runs the Rusholme branch on the famous Curry Mile.

After a member of the public complained to the council, food safety officers inspected the Levenshulme eatery and discovered evidence of a cockroach and mouse infestation.

The takeaway did not have a pest control contract in place.

Council bosses said the pest problem posed an immediate food safety risk and the takeaway was voluntarily closed.

Fancy food ain’t safe food: UK wedding venue costs £14,000 to hire, suck at food safety

These shocking pictures reveal the filthy conditions at an ‘exclusive’ wedding venue which has been ordered to pay more than £60,000 for breaching food hygiene and safety laws.

243842FF00000578-2883821-image-m-54_1419264364785Davenport Green Hall in Altrincham, Manchester, charges £14,500 for a couple’s big day and has even been featured on Celebrity Four Weddings for glamour model Michelle Marsh’s reception.

But bosses have been fined £39,000 plus £21,500 in costs after investigators found the kitchen in a ‘shocking’ state and said routine cleaning had been ‘inadequate’.

Prohibition notices were also served for serious health and safety breaches concerning the gas, electricity and the slippery kitchen floor.

A wedding guest tipped-off environmental health officers after a reception at the venue.

243842EE00000578-2883821-image-m-61_1419264436203And when officers arrived unannounced in August last year, they found the marquee kitchen and tented areas at the hall were in a very poor structural condition.

They also noted that staff were not trained properly, there was no hand washing facilities, the drains were blocked and rubbish was not being thrown away quickly enough.

Owner Mohammed Isaq has now been banned from running any food business until further notice.

87 Greater Manchester restaurants scored ‘zero’ ratings for food hygiene

Almost 90 restaurants in Greater Manchester have a zero out of five rating from the Food Standards Agency including restaurants near Piccadilly and the Trafford Centre.

Both Swadesh, a swanky Indian restaurant on Portland Street, and Rice Flame and Grill in the Trafford Centre, were among the 87 businesses receiving the lowest possible score.

Bullet-With-Butterfly-Wings-smashing-pumpkins-4349111-990-756-640x488The Manchester Evening News reports the borough with the highest number of zero star restaurants was Bolton, with 26 establishments receiving the low food hygiene score, while Salford came second with 13 restaurants being given no stars for food hygeine.

Fancy food isn’t safe food; luxury Manchester hotel edition; 80 sick with campylobacter in chicken pate after fundraiser

 Who knew Manchester, U.K., had such fancy hotels?

Diners at Salford’s luxury Lowry Hotel reported fever, dizziness and vomiting after attending a fundraiser at what has been dubbed Manchester’s most fashionable hotel.

The outbreak is being linked to chicken pate served at a charity dinner and is now being investigated by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) and officers from Salford council.

The five-star facility gets zero stars for its new addition to the things-not-to-say-after-an-outbreak category: It is the first incident of its kind at the hotel since it opened 10 years ago.

And be careful when lawyers get sick.

Solicitor Alex Speed, 44, from Stockport, told how he fell ill after attending the event. “Based on what our table ate, I know that the people who had the tomato soup as a starter didn’t get ill. It’s reasonable to assume the pate was responsible.”

He has now launched a compensation claim on behalf of seven clients.

Dr Rosemary McCann, a consultant with the HPA, said 80 guests had so far reported symptoms – and a number of cases of campylobacter had now been confirmed by laboratory tests.

Hotel bosses confirmed that the pate dish had been prepared by hotel staff for the dinner on October 8. General manager Peter Kienast said, “We are determined to get to the cause of the issue and the detailed investigation is reviewing every stage of the process from the food source itself to its delivery.”

‘The Lowry Hotel has very stringent procedures and training methods to ensure the highest quality of hygiene in our kitchens.

GM Kienast, you may want to check out those kitchen procedures.