Groundhog Day continues in UK; celebrity chefs still suck at food safety

In 1996, 23 people died in an E. coli O157 outbreak when Scotland’s former butcher-of-the-year used the same knives on raw and cooked beef.

In 2005, a five-year-old child died and 160 sickened after a butcher used the same vacuum packaging machine on raw and cooked beef.

Celebrity chef Marcus Wareing, who cooked  for the Queen on her 80th birthday and is star of BBC’s Great British Menu series failed his most big_bill_in_groundhog-731047recent restaurant inspection because he used the same vac-pak machine on raw and cooked product.

Dude, there’s this thing called the Internet; do some research before you speak.

We simply needed a vacuum-packing machine as we only had one. The FSA [Food Standards Agency] Guidance recommends two. We weren’t aware the regulations had changed last year. It was a technicality and we hold our hands up to it and purchased the new machine within a week.”

That’s the ignorance that led to the death of 5-year-old Mason Jones in 2005. It’s sorta been talked about. Too busy being a celebrity.

“To go from five stars to one star just for that seems  too radical, given my 25 years of kitchen experience.

“If they were taking Michelin stars away like this, well, it’s quite scary. My kitchen is a bloody Rolls-Royce that has customers in it, on my chef’s table, daily.  

“Food safety, and the health of my team and customers, is not something I would knowingly jeopardize.”

I’m just a dopy American/colonist but I knew about it eight years ago (actually, a lot longer).

Maybe give Hugh Pennington a call.

The chef runs a restaurant at London’s five-star Berkeley Hotel, where celebrity.chefsdiners are charged £115 for a dinner tasting menu.

Inspectors noted that at the time of their visit raw fish was stored above cooked crab in the fish fridge.

The council inspectors also said  it “was very disappointing to note that the record-keeping had ceased since April 2013.”