UK McDonald’s forced to close after staff find dead mice

Josh Parry and Tyler Mears of the Mirror report a McDonald’s restaurant in Liverpool was forced to close this week after staff found dead mice at the branch.

mcdonaldsBosses confirmed the restaurant was closed for a “short period” after evidence of mice was discovered at the fast food joint.

They said the eaterie in Walton Road has taken steps to address the issue after they called in pest control.

They also insisted there was “no concern regarding food safety” and apologised for the temporary closure of the store.

Edmunds Fine Dining fined £5,300 for mice infestation

The company behind Edmunds Fine Dining has been fined £5,300 after a mouse infestation was discovered by health inspectors at its Brindleyplace premises.

Edmunds Fine DiningParent firm Casamou Ltd admitted nine breaches of food safety regulations at Birmingham magistrates.

Nicola Lea, prosecuting for the city council, said the restaurant now has a five-star hygiene rating.

But it was served with an emergency prohibition notice in January 2015 which had forced it to close for one day.

Ms Lea said environmental health officers had visited the restaurant on January 20 last year after receiving a complaint.

Officers found mouse droppings throughout the premises, a lack of effective cleaning and no evidence of a food safety management plan.

They also discovered out of date milk and cream in the fridges.

She added: “Officers served the notice on January 20 and returned to carry out a follow-up inspection on January 21 and the premises was allowed to reopen.

“There was a subsequent inspection in March 2015 and they now have a five-star rating.”

She added that a food safety management plan was drawn up after the visits and said there had been a high level of co-operation, including the steps to resolve the problems.

In mitigation for Casamou Ltd, lawyer Mr Smith described the incident as “very unfortunate” and said Edmunds had received a clean bill of health from a pest control company on the very same day of the visit.

He also said the complaint had been made anonymously and that the venue had been closed in the two days before the visit.

He said in those two days no cooking had taken place and any out of date food would have been checked and disposed of.

He added: “The visit took place on a Tuesday. The restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday and a member of staff should have attended work to carry out cleaning duties.

“There was a system in place, but the system failed because the member of staff did not attend work. The company co-operated fully with the local authority and subsequently received a five-star rating, which is still in place.”


Poundstretcher in Belfast shopping center fined £1,800 over dead mice

Dead mice, rodent droppings and poor food safety conditions have led to a pound shop being fined a total of £1,800.

dedadmiceeeeeeeeeePoundstretcher, which owns an outlet at Connswater Shopping Centre in east Befast, was also ordered to pay court costs of £75 for three food hygiene offences.

Environmental health staff found fresh mice droppings, a strong smell of urine and two dead mice during a routine inspection on February 14 last year.

Food stuffs were not protected from risk of contamination and procedures critical to food safety were found to be inadequate.

A notice was served to prohibit the use of storage areas in the shop, but was lifted on March 11 after three consecutive days of no pest activity and all pest proofing work completed. The conditions have now been improved to Belfast City Council’s satisfaction.

Even further than a step behind: 20 sick from Salmonella linked to feeder mice in Canada

On May 20, 2014, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported 37 people were sick with the same strain of Salmonella Typhimurium linked to contact with frozen feeder rodents used to feed pet reptiles.

almost.famous.uncool.jpgOn June 2, 2014, the Public Health Agency of Canada announced 20 people were sick with the same strain of Salmonella Typhimurium linked to contact with frozen feeder rodents used to feed pet reptiles.

Mouse infestation closes birthplace of the cronut

New York City residents and tourists are apparently not alone in their love of Cronuts, those croissant-and-doughnut hybrids that have people lined up for blocks before dawn outside a SoHo bakery.

Online video showing a mouse running around in the Dominique Ansel Bakery on Spring Street, which shot to fame after its eponymous chef cronut21-300x300created the pastry, led health officials to temporarily shut the shop on Friday.

The closing was reported on Friday on the website Gothamist, which noted that the bakery had been open earlier in the day.

Inspectors from the city’s health department found a severe mouse infestation at the bakery requiring professional pest control, and the bakery cannot reopen until inspectors determine the problem has been fixed, an agency statement said.

NYC’s Crocodile Lounge shut down after inspectors find rats and mice

The Crocodile Lounge bar — known for offering free personal pizzas with each drink — was shut down by the Health Department this week after inspectors found rats, mice and other violations, according to online records.

Inspectors shuttered Crocodile Lounge at 325 E. 14th St. on Wednesday after issuing 51 violation points for food that was not protected from crocodile.lounge.nyccontamination, dirty wiping cloths, improper plumbing and conditions that attracted vermin, plus evidence of live rats and mice, records show.

Crocodile Lounge posted a note on its Facebook page saying it had closed because of a broken pipe.

UK takeaway “festooned” in mouse droppings shut down

The Chicken Spot restaurant in Battersea has been shut down by food safety inspectors because of a serious rodent infestation.

The council’s consumer protection spokesman said: “What the inspectors were confronted with at this takeaway was simply unacceptable.

“Its kitchen, food storage areas and food preparation areas were filthy and festooned in mouse droppings. It is difficult to think of anywhere that would have been more unsuitable be preparing and cooking food.

“Anyone who owns or runs a food business in Wandsworth should be under no illusions about the sanctions they will face if they do not observe the very highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene.

“In this case, the owner’s sloppy and unacceptable practices have cost it a good deal of lost revenue and also caused significant damage to its reputation. Other food businesses should take careful note of these consequences.” 

Caribbean Soul restaurant closed in NYC after inspection reveals evidence of mice

DNAinfo reports that Caribbean Soul is known in Clinton Hill for jazz music, jerk chicken wings and friendly service.

But the Health Department recently closed the popular Fulton Street hangout citing Caribbean Soulimproper refrigeration of food and evidence of mice, among other violations. Owner Nichole Mayers must take a few steps before she can reopen her doors.

Million Dollar Listing: because it’s not just 1970s stoners who feed mice to their snakes (and spread Salmonella)

Someone slipped Ryan a pet snake so he bought some frozen mice but there were no directions so he microwaved it on a plate and cross-contaminated everything in his kitchen.

That’s my take on the latest sleeping-aide for Amy, another Bravo television show that proves money does not override douchebaggery: Million Dollar Listing, New York.

Some of you may be able to watch the video here,, or here, near the 30-minute mark:

2 Toronto restaurants closed for rodent infestation

 The Toronto Star reports two restaurants were shut down last week and face charges from Toronto Public Health for rodent infestation and poor sanitation.

South China Restaurant on Mount Pleasant Rd. near Davisville Ave. and Sushi Hana near Yonge and Wellesley Sts. failed to pass inspections on Feb. 21 and Feb. 23, respectively.

Jim Chan, manager of the food safety program at Public Health, said mice were found in both restaurants. Public Health has laid charges against both restaurants for rodent infestation. Sushi Hana, which has since reopened, also has a charge pending for sanitation issues. Chan said the infractions were serious enough to take them to court.

“Usually for a minor violation, the inspector will just issue a ticket,” he said.

Other infractions against South China Restaurant were failure to protect food from contamination, improper storage of solid waste and failure to clean bathroom fixtures.

Failure to protect food from contamination was also found at Sushi Hana. At least one employee was allegedly not washing hands before preparing food.