Going public: Not. 49 sick, 1 dead after Salmonella outbreak at Dublin pub

The HSE has confirmed that more than 50 people have fallen ill after an outbreak of food poisoning due to Salmonella in North Dublin.

The statement comes a week after Sandra O’Brien, who was in her 50s, died from suspected food poisoning at a First Communion party.

The Health Service Executive confirmed that the outbreak has affected “multiple groups”.

The HSE is liaising with the Food Safety Authority of Ireland and an Outbreak Control Team has been formed and an investigation is ongoing.

The statement continues: “The HSE is aware of more than 50 people (including 4 children) ill from a number of separate groups of family parties supplied by a North Dublin food business on Saturday 13th May and Sunday 14th May.

“To date five people were admitted to hospital and 16 of those ill have been confirmed as Salmonella.”

The first cases of food poisoning were notified to the HSE on Thursday May 18. The statement confirms that a north Dublin food business was identified as the common link in this outbreak.

“The investigation is focused on this business. A Closure Order was served on the food business on Friday 19th May.”

The HSE say the investigation is ongoing and includes further examination of the food business operation and food served and assessment of the information from ill and well persons who consumed food.

(BTW, the mask worn by Garth is somewhat equivalent to the mask I wore when I started playing goal in 1969, except Garth’s is better. A couple of years later, in pee wee, the kids could fire the puck and who knows how many concussions I had, along with playing middle linebacker in high school football, so questions of PTSD are never far from what is left of my mind.)

60 sick ill after norovirus outbreak at UK pub

A pub was closed and disinfected after 60 customers and staff suffered vomiting and diarrhoea after visiting the venue.

hobsonsInsidePublic Health England (PHE) was informed of the suspected norovirus cases after customers of Hobsons Choice in Kettering fell ill.

Hobsons Choice temporarily closed so all public areas and guest toilets could be thoroughly disinfected and it is now reopen for business.

The pub said it has worked with the authorities and they are happy with their hygiene practices.

“We reopened on Thursday afternoon and apologise to our guests for any inconvenience caused.”

Husband tells of horrific moment of wife’s death after eating reheated Christmas dinner at UK chain pub

 A husband has told how his dying wife’s eyes rolled back into her head after eating a reheated Christmas dinner at one of the country’s top pub chains, a court heard.

237E855900000578-0-image-55_1416934800709Mother-of-one Della Callagher died and 32 other diners became seriously ill after eating the turkey dinner at the Railway Hotel, Hornchurch, Essex.

The 46-year-old became unwell on Boxing Day and her devastated husband told the court how his wife began shaking and her eyes rolled back into her head.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard she was sent home from Queen’s Hospital, Romford, and she died on December 27.

Guests paid £39.95 for a meal which had been cooked the day before and given a second blast on a hotplate before it was brought to the table.

Prosecutors claimed the food was not allowed to cool when it was first cooked and then not properly reheated, creating a perfect breeding ground for the deadly Clostridium bacteria.

After the outbreak landlady Anne-Marie McSweeney, 40, and chef Mehmet Kaya, 37 disposed of all the waste food, preventing health inspectors from taking samples. They also forged kitchen records.

They were both found guilty perverting the course of justice for falsifying food safety records.

UK pub owner fined £12,500 over food hygiene failings

The owner of a Saundersfoot pub has been fined a total of £12,500 by Haverfordwest Magistrates this week after admitting to five food hygiene offences.

Ian Griffiths of The Royal Oak Inn, Wogan Terrace, was also ordered to pay £2778.37 costs to Pembrokeshire County Council at the hearing on Monday.

The Council brought the case following breaches found at the pub during a routine the-royal-oakinspection in October, 2012, by officers from the Authority’s Public Protection Division.

As well as revealing the lack of an adequate food safety management system, officers found evidence of food not being protected against contamination; unclean structures and equipment; a lack of training of staff and various out-of-date foods and inadequately labelled foodstuffs such that effective stock rotation could not be safely carried out.

The business agreed to voluntarily close until immediate cleaning and disinfection and stock checks had been carried out.

Woman fined for letting horse poop inside UK McDonald’s

A woman and her horse go to a McDonalds drive-thru.

Staff won’t fill her order.

horse-poo-picSo the woman and her horse go into the McDonalds.

The horse says, “order for me, I’ve got to take a dump.”

The horse didn’t make it to the bathroom.

Maybe time for Depends.

Shit happens.

But maybe this isn’t so unusual, since it is Manchester. Watch the horse in a pub celebrating the royal baby birth the other night via The Daily Show (which you can see if you live in North America).

19 sick; UK pub stops serving food until salmonella source identified

Four people have been hospitaliszd after an outbreak of salmonella at a Darlington pub that also led to another 15 people falling ill.

The Copper Beech pub, in Neasham Road, has voluntarily stopped serving food after a number of cases of the infectious disease were linked to its kitchens.

Officers from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) have started an investigation to discover the source of the outbreak, which they believe has now been contained.

A spokesman for the pub, which is owned by the Punch Taverns chain, said the licensee had co-operated fully with the investigation and had closed the kitchens as soon as a possible link was identified.

He said the kitchens have now been cleared for re-opening by environmental health experts, but the pub has chosen to wait until the source of the infection is identified.

British diner threatened to use knife on pub staff over ‘below par’ sandwich

A diner threatened to return to an English pub armed with a knife after being served a "below par" beef and onion sandwich, a court has heard.

Clive Davies, 54, left the White Horse pub in Cambridge and showed employees at a nearby grocery store a seven-inch blade he said he planned to use on the staff who had served him the unsatisfactory sandwich, the Cambridge News reported today.

Employees at the store called police and Davies, who has a previous conviction for manslaughter, was apprehended in another local pub, the Lion and Lamb.

He pleaded guilty to threatening and abusive language, possessing a bladed article in a public place, and possession of cannabis.

Don’t go to work if you’re sick – Cardiff pub edition

In April 2007, 135 patrons of the Ffynnon Wen pub in Cardiff, Wales, became sick with norovirus.

Public health types have just published a report, concluding that sick staff likely had returned to work too soon after being ill and were still infectious, unintentionally contaminating customers’ food.

Don’t go to work if you’re sick.

Simon Royal, one of the food poisoning victims, is not happy. He plans to sue Marston’s Inns and Taverns, the company that owns the Ffynnon Wen in Thornhill, Cardiff, and criticized local council for taking so long to publish a full report into the outbreak.

The official report has recommended the council does not take legal action against the pub or the manager because of “insufficient evidence collected during the investigation.”

Investigators discovered two staff members who had suffered from a stomach bug could have returned to work within 48 hours and before they were fully symptom-free, in contravention of the company’s fitness-to-work policy.

Policies are nice, but only if they are enforced.