Rojak contaminated by raw seafood kills 2, sickens 150 in Singapore

The rojak served at Singapore’s Geylang Serai Temporary Market, which sickened more than 150 and killed two women, was cross-contaminated with Vibrio parahaemolyticus from raw seafood, according to government investigators.

Rojak is a fruit and vegetable salad dish commonly found in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

In 1983, 34 people fell ill – also after eating at a Geylang Serai Indian-rojak stall, after drippings from raw cuttlefish fell into the rojak gravy, which was in uncovered containers on the lower shelves of a refrigerator.