British diner threatened to use knife on pub staff over ‘below par’ sandwich

A diner threatened to return to an English pub armed with a knife after being served a "below par" beef and onion sandwich, a court has heard.

Clive Davies, 54, left the White Horse pub in Cambridge and showed employees at a nearby grocery store a seven-inch blade he said he planned to use on the staff who had served him the unsatisfactory sandwich, the Cambridge News reported today.

Employees at the store called police and Davies, who has a previous conviction for manslaughter, was apprehended in another local pub, the Lion and Lamb.

He pleaded guilty to threatening and abusive language, possessing a bladed article in a public place, and possession of cannabis.

Jimmy John’s food safety challenged, changing to clover sprouts

Alfalfa sprouts grown in Illinois have sickened at least 112 people in 18 states with salmonella since Nov. 2010, and many of those sick ate the sprouts on Jimmy John’s sandwiches.

On Jan. 3, 2011, in a separate outbreak, health officials reported fingering clover sprouts produced by Sprouters Northwest, Inc. of Kent, Wash. as the source of a separate salmonella outbreak that has sickened three in Oregon and four in Washington. Once again, the vehicle in at least some of the illnesses was Jimmy John’s sandwiches with sprouts.

William E. Keene, a senior epidemiologist at Oregon Public Health Division said,

“This is at least the 13th sprout-caused outbreak that has sickened Oregonians since 1995, when we first started warning consumers about the risks of eating sprouts. Anyone concerned about foodborne disease should consider this before eating sprouts. … This is a food to avoid. If you’re concerned about getting sick, I wouldn’t eat sprouts."

Yesterday, John Liautaud, the owner of the Jimmy John’s sandwich shop chain, said his restaurants will be replacing alfalfa sprouts with easier-cleaned clover sprouts, effective immediately.

Mr. ‘I-have-a-sign-on-my-head-that-says-sue-me’ Liautaud said he was making the change to clover sprouts because they are easier to clean, than alfalfa sprouts, and that to the best of his knowledge, not one case of salmonella carried by alfalfa sprouts can be traced to one of his restaurants.

Lawyers, take your places.

The original table of North American raw sprout-related outbreaks is available at

Not just Illinois: salmonella in sprouts is making people barf all over; 89 confirmed sick, 1-in-4 hospitalized

That salmonella-in-sprouts at Jimmy John’s has spread to 15 states.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reports from Nov. 1 to Dec. 21, 2010, the same Salmonella serotype I 4,[5],12:i:- had sickened 89 individuals from 15 states, with 50 of those from Illinois.

Case-patients range in age from 1 to 75 years, with a median age of 28. Sixty-eight percent of patients are female. Among persons with available information, 23% reported being hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

Preliminary results of this investigation indicate a link to eating alfalfa sprouts at a national sandwich chain.

To reduce the risk of illness:

• Children, the elderly, pregnant women, and persons with weakened immune systems should avoid eating raw sprouts of any kind (including alfalfa, clover, radish, and mung bean sprouts).
• Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills the harmful bacteria.
• Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure that raw sprouts have not been added.

At one local eatery, we’re known as the no-sprouts customers.

That national sandwich chain would be Jimmy John’s. Although the company pulled sprouts two days ago from Illinois restaurants, they need to pull all raw sprouts nationally, figure out where the sprouts came from to limit exposure to others, and then seriously evaluate whether they should even be offering raw sprouts.

And when Jimmy John’s owner Jimmy John Liautaud wrote franchisees in a letter Tuesday saying that about 88 people were sickened in 15 states and that of 40 interviewed, 28 ate at Jimmy John’s and 25 had sprouts, he obviously knew what CDC is now reporting today. So why would you limit the yanking of sprouts to just Illinois? Why did it take CDC at least an additional two days to report what Illinois folks have been reporting for days?

This is going to be expensive.

A table of raw sprout-related outbreaks is available at

Café owner sickened 47 police with staph sandwiches must wear electronic tag

In July, 2009, West Midlands Police were dispatched to control demonstrations between the English Defence League and anti-fascism groups in Birmingham, U.K. The coppers ordered more than 100 lunches from Morris’s Meal Machine cafe, in Nechells, Birmingham. Fourty-seven were sickened by contaminated chicken and tuna sandwiches. One officer said, “I thought my life was coming to an end.”

A couple of weeks later, Birmingham City Council’s environmental health department closed the café following checks into processes and procedures, which unvocered failures in “food handling, cross contamination, temperature control and general cleanliness.”

The Daily Mail reports the packed lunches were provided by former cafe owner Muriel Morris, 70, who admitted four charges of breaching food hygiene regulations at Birmingham Magistrates Court on Monday.

She was tagged and ordered to obey an overnight curfew after District Judge Robert Zara accepted she could not pay a large fine.

He also imposed a four-month suspended sentence on her.

She has since sold the business, the court heard.

The court was told some of the officers were left mentally scarred and even feared they would die because of the staphylococcus aureus infection.

Others passed out and required oxygen as they were taken to hospital by ambulance and another said he lost eight pounds in weight and suffered symptoms for a week.

Pre-packaged sandwiches stored at wrong temps in Ireland

Almost one in three pre-packed sandwiches are stored or displayed at the wrong temperature, increasing the risk of food poisoning, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has warned.

The authority has just published a study into the microbiological safety of pre-packed sandwiches. While the findings show that 99% of sandwiches were satisfactory when tested for the foodborne bacteria, Listeria, there was concern over the storage of these food items.

Altogether, 29% of pre-packed sandwiches were being stored or displayed at temperatures higher than five degrees Celsius. Pre-packed sandwiches should be stored at five degrees Celsius or cooler, as this stops or slows down the growth of bacteria.

Meanwhile the study found that four of the five sandwiches, which were classified as unsatisfactory or unacceptable/potentially hazardous, were stored above eight degrees Celsius, with one sandwich displayed unrefrigerated at almost 18 degrees Celsius.

The study involved the testing of 948 pre-packaged sandwiches from retailers and caterers across the country. Sandwiches made to order, unwrapped sandwiches and sandwiches which receive heat-treatment, e.g. toasted sandwiches and paninis. were excluded from study.

Doctors sickened by sandwiches at India hospital causes gynecologist shortage

Around 50 doctors from the Gandhi Hospital in Hyderabad fell sick from food poisoning after consuming tainted sandwiches, leaving a critical shortage in the gynecology wing.

That’s what MedIndia reported.

The doctors, who had assembled for a continuing education program in gynecology, apparently ate snacks from a bakery. The eatables were purchased from Mac Allen Bakery at Padmarao Nagar.

The doctors ate the snacks on Friday, but fell sick on Sunday and only then realized that it was in fact the food, which was an issue.