No inquest for Bali food poisoning deaths

Many in Australia want to vacation in Bali.

bali.deathsMe, not so much.

Here’s another reason:

An inquest won’t be held into the death of a mother and daughter duo who died from food poisoning while on holiday in Indonesia.

Queensland Coroner Terry Ryan on Tuesday published his findings into the deaths of Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her 14-year-old daughter Yvana, who died within a few hours of each other in Bali on January 4 last year.

Mr Ryan said there was nothing to be gained from holding an inquest and determined the cause of their death to be a “severe reaction to food, likely to have been fish, consumed while on holiday in Indonesia”.

That severe reaction was probably scombroid syndrome, which occurs after eating certain types of fish that produce high levels of histamine, he said.

Food purchases remain faith-based, at market or megalomart: 4 sick with scombroid from tuna in Sydney

As the buy-local mantra becomes indoctrinated in Australia with 18 confirmed sick with hepatitis A from frozen Chinese berries, a Sydney café has vowed to change suppliers after four were sickened with scombroid poisoning linked to tuna from Thailand.

No country is an island, even Australia.

Bad fish: Australian mother and daughter likely died of scombroid food poisoning in Bali

Autopsies have found scombroid food poisoning likely caused the deaths of Noelene and Yvana Bischoff in Bali last month.

Their family has been told forensic pathologists, who conducted autopsies on Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her 14-year-old daughter Yvana, had found they died from a scombroidcombination of food poisoning and existing medical conditions after they ate fish at a Bali restaurant in early January.

Malcolm Bischoff, Noelene’s brother, said it appeared they both suffered from food poisoning that, coupled with their asthma and, in Noelene’s case, migraine medication had formed a fatal cocktail. “We were happy it wasn’t foul play because that would be disgusting,” Mr Bischoff said.

Scombroid food poisoning can result from eating spoiled fish, meaning the restaurant’s preparation could have made no difference, Mr Bischoff said.

Bad tuna sends seven Subway customers to the hospital in Vancouver

Seven customers at a Subway sandwich outlet in the international terminal of the Vancouver airport were taken to hospital on Friday afternoon suffering from an apparent bout of food poisoning.

Vancouver Coastal Health spokesman Justin Karasick said the suspected cause of their illness was some tuna that may not have been stored at the right temperature.

The customers are believed to have been stricken by a form of food poisoning known as scombroid, which occurs when there is a high level of histamine in raw or uncooked fish, said Mr. Karasick.

EVOO outbreak not confirmed, looks like scombroid

WRAL in Raleigh reports that the cause of an outbreak of a foodborne illness in 10 patrons of EVOO may never be found. 

Andre Pierce, Wake County’s director of the environmental health and safety division says regardless of the outcome [of the test results], he’s confident the problem was created at the restaurant.

“If you had some source issue with a product, you would expect to have calls around the state,” Pierce said. “We didn’t have anything like that …So we believe there’s something that was going on possibly at that facility that was the problem. Pierce suspects a toxin or chemical caused the sickness, perhaps through cross contamination.

Incident reports from Wake County show all of the customers who became ill ate salads. A sample of tuna was sent for testing.

“This appears to be a classic case of histamine fish poisoning,” said North Carolina State University microbiologist Dr. Lee-Ann Jaykus, who 5 on Your Side asked to review the reports. "Scombrotoxin fish poisoning is probably the leading cause of seafood associated food-borne illness,” Jaykus said.

Scombrotoxin fish poisioning is caused by histamine and is often caused by temperature abuse of fish. Illnessess are similar to allergic reactions and can strike patrons quickly. Gotta keep that fish cold to reduce the risk.