100 sick: Spaghetti linked to Salmonella poisoning in Czech Republic

At least 100 people in and around Plzeň came down with symptoms of salmonella poisoning after eating spaghetti carbonara made by a catering company called Zrtas, according to media reports.

FNM_120109-W-N-Dinners-036_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscapeSome 50 people have been hospitalized and a similar number is being treated for food poisoning on an outpatient basis.

The spaghetti meals suspected of causing the illness were prepared Friday, July 24, and delivered in paper and foil cartons in and around the Plzeň area. Since the shelf life is listed as five days, more of the meals still may be available.

The company linked to the outbreak made 140 meals of spaghetti with Parmesan cheese, bacon and eggs and delivered them to multiple companies and institutions. The exact ingredient at the root of the outbreak has not been determined, but salmonella is often linked to eggs.