Over 100 sickened, Chin Chin owners fined over $100K in Australia

Over a year after more than 100 people were sickened with Salmonella after consuming deep fried ice cream batter containing raw eggs, former owners of Chin Chin Chinese restaurant in Springwood, south of Brisbane, have been prosecuted.

raw.egg.ice.creamMr Jing Wen Zheng and Ms Soc Kien Taing last week pleaded guilty, in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court, to three charges each of selling unsafe food to patrons of Chin Chin Chinese Restaurant on 3, 4 and 5 January 2015.

They have been fined $60,000 in total for the offences and ordered to pay $41,914 in total for costs of laboratory analyses and $1,000 in total for professional costs.

Metro South Public Health Unit environmental health manager, Mr Greg Shillig, said the action was the result of numerous complaints of foodborne illnesses following the consumption of food at the premises.

“The sale of this unsafe food caused laboratory-confirmed Salmonellosis in 100 of the 138 individuals who were ill, with the same molecular strain found not only in the food, but also on cleaning cloths, food preparation surfaces and other surfaces throughout the kitchen,” Mr Shillig said.

“This indicated significant cross contamination because of poor handling and hygiene standards.

“This particular outbreak placed a significant cost burden on local hospital emergency departments, including Logan Hospital, which set up a specific treatment ward for patients who dined at the restaurant.”

Mr Shillig said that, in response to this food poisoning outbreak, the Logan City Council cancelled the food business licence for Chin Chin Chinese Restaurant.