£30,000 to holidaymaker struck down by ‘nightmare’ salmonella food poisoning in Cuba

A police officer who suffered a suspected heart attack after contracting salmonella during his sister’s wedding celebrations in Cuba has been awarded a £30,000 settlement.

wedding.crashersPhilip Miller, 31, from Weston Super Mare required two stays in hospital for treatment for chest pains and fluid on his heart in the month after he returned from the special two-week family holiday at the Hotel Playa Pesquero in November and December 2013.

He has now described how he wants to put the ‘nightmare’ behind him after suffering months of ill health since returning to the UK.

The health problems he suffered after developing symptoms, which included abdominal pains, diarrhea and severe lethargy, began just three days into the holiday and had such an impact on him that he needed three months off work to recover.

Now, after specialist illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell helped him to secure a £30,000 settlement from TUI UK, who did not admit liability, following the Salmonella he contracted, Mr Miller has revealed how he is finally looking to the future following the holiday ordeal.

It was the bacillus cereus: £20k fine for UK caterers after hundreds of wedding guests get food poisoning

A catering company has been fined £20,111 after hundreds of wedding guests were struck with food poisoning from eating contaminated rice.

wedding.crashersEaling Council’s food safety team were first alerted by the father of the bride on September 24, 2013, who that 90% of the 470 wedding guests were suffering with food poisoning.

However, the prosecution could only be based on the 93 guests who formally reported their symptoms of food poisoning to investigators.

Investigators linked the food poisoning with rice prepared by the Royal Club of 116 – 118 Ruislip Road, Greenford, which a Public Health England food examiner found to be ‘potentially injurious to health and/or unfit for human consumption’.  It was found to contain E.coli – a bacteria associated with fecal contamination – and Bacillus bacteria.

Inspections of the Royal Club kitchen revealed serious food hygiene violations. Only one member of staff was trained in food safety. Both the head chef and remaining staff had not received any food safety training at all. Inspectors also discovered that The Royal Club had no refrigerated vehicles in which to safely transport food to events. 

Colorado student arrested for contaminating salad dressing

It’s like that scene out of Wedding Crashers – using Visine to induce vomiting.

I don’t know if that really works, but a spokesperson with the Colorado Springs Police Department told KOAA a couple of weeks ago a student at Vista Ridge High School had been arrested in connection a possible school lunch contamination incident.

The student admitted to pouring water from a Visine bottle into the ranch dressing at the cafeteria salad bar. He faces charges of Reckless Endangerment and Interference with School, Staff and Faculty.

Around 20 students at Vista Ridge High School felt nauseous following reports that another student had contaminated the ranch dressing at the school cafeteria with a bottle of Visine eye drops.

The school district is notifying all parents of the potential symptoms of Visine consumption which include nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, low body temperature and possible seizures.