Salmonella reappears at Australian beach playground

In May, 2008, children’s playgrounds were closed on Sydney’s Northern Beaches after a rare form of salmonella, paratyphi B var java, normally linked to tropical fish, sickened 23 toddlers. The sand was replaced at a cost of $140,000 but subsequent testing showed the same Salmonella had returned.??

Over three years later, and once again, part of the popular children’s playground at Winnererremy Bay has been closed after testing revealed the presence of salmonella bacteria in the surface bark.

Pittwater Council general manager Mark Ferguson said the part of the playground that tested positive would remain closed while the bark was replaced.

Dr Michael Staff, of the Public Health Unit, who conducted the testing, said there had been no cases of gastroenteritis linked to the most recent contamination.