Before the salmonella outbreak, the deli was bringing around 18 percent of the Co-Op’s business. Now, after one month of being re-opened, the deli is only selling 12 percent.
“We added a few hand washing sinks in the deli. We had 11 of our staff serve safe certified, which is a national food safety certification that goes above and beyond the Idaho Health Department standards,” said Mo Valko, Boise Co-Op spokeswoman.
During the closure, the deli moved departments around and bought new colored cutting boards. Valko says this will help prevent cross contamination.
“In order to ensure the food they’re serving here at the Boise Co-Op is safe, employees go through a three page checklist anywhere from personal hygiene to food storage,” she said.
Returning customers believe the outbreak was a rare mistake.
“It was an unfortunate incident but my faith has not been shaken, I think it was a mistake that probably should have never happened and now that it has happened it probably never will ever, ever happen again,” said Jan Pierce, a Boise resident.
“In general, it’s such a decent place that it’s not really a huge concern. I think that sometimes people get a little over charged on things like that,” said Rita Shaw, another Boise resident.