Why I avoid buffets: Failed Georgia restaurant score due to temps

Laura Berrios of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that during a recent routine health inspection at an Indian restaurant in Duluth, several cold food items on a buffet, and meats and gravy inside a cooler, were thrown away because of unsafe temperatures.

Moksha Kitchen, 3294 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., DuluthGoat, lamb and onion gravy were in the top section of a prep cooler and were not being maintained within the appropriate temperature range, according to the Gwinnett County health inspector.

Also, yogurt, pudding, cut melons and tamarind sauce on a self-serve buffet were all thrown away because the ice that was supposed to keep the items cold had melted. The temperatures were also too high, the inspector said.

Moksha Kitchen, 3294 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth, scored 64/U on the routine inspection. The fast-casual restaurant had previous scores of 80/B and 77/C.

It’s all about the trust: Minnesota waterpark aims to rebuild public trust after crypto outbreak

The Edgewater Hotel in Duluth, Minn., a popular spot for Thunder Bay travelers, lost a quarter of its business after water park visitors fell ill in March.

CBC News reports the outbreak was linked to cryptosporidium, a parasite that can be passed by humans.

The hotel’s general manager, Jesse Hinkemeyer, said rebuilding public trust is a priority.

“That’s what it’s all about,” Hinkmeyer said.

“It’s a trust issue and that’s why we have been so forthcoming. And we want to be as transparent as we can.”

Hinkemeyer said the hotel is now installing an ultraviolet treatment system for the water park. It’s supposed to be 99.9 per cent effective against the parasite. When water is filtered through the UV system, it renders any harmful substances harmless. Hinkemeyer noted that cryptosporidium can’t be eliminated 100 per cent.

Trisha Robinson, an epidemiologist with the state of Minnesota, said “crypto outbreaks are fairly common. Minnesota health officials say there [is] an average of 250 to 300 cases a year. [But] the vast majority are not affected by an outbreak."

As for the outbreak of cryptosporidiosis associated with a waterpark in Duluth, she said they have a case count of 97 people who became ill — including 22 who have had a laboratory-confirmed case of cryptosporidium. The individuals who became sick resided in Ontario, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Stop pooping in pools; cryptosporidium outbreak in Minnesota sickens 9

The Minnesota Health Department says three people have tested positive for cryptosporidium and another six cases are suspected — all had recently been swimming at the Edgewater in Duluth in March.

Of those nine possibly affected, seven are kids and two are adults.

The Edgewater responded to concerns by closing pools and super chlorinating them to kill any parasite, ahead of getting water testing results back.

"Our pools are the cleanest, you know, that they’ve been because of the super chlorination, and we do take it very seriously and are very controlled about how often we test the water and what to do with issues," said Leanne Joynes of ZMC Hotels.

"The people should not be changing diapers at poolside. They should take a shower before and after swimming and that when they’re swimming, they should take frequent bathroom breaks," said Trisha Robinson of the Minnesota Department of Health.

The Minnesota Department of Health is also investigating a pool facility in Brainerd for the same parasite, but did not say which one.

One person who swam there was confirmed to be infected, while two others are suspected.

So far, officials believe the cases in Duluth and Brainerd are not related.

Minnesota students sickened in Florida at tennis tournament

WDIO.com, Duluth’s eyewitness news leader, is reporting that nearly two dozen players from the College of St. Scholastica‘s tennis teams fell ill in Florida over the weekend after travelling from Duluth, Minn. to participate in a tournament.

Althetes said doctors treated them for E. coli, and suspect it could have come from a swimming pool in a hotel. Ten of 31 students and coaches that made the trip to Orlando came home to the college as planned. The others, we’ve been told, came home late or were heading home Monday evening.

Athletes said 21 got sick Saturday, the day after their tennis competition wrapped up.

Four athletes stayed in Orlando to go to the hospital, athletes said. Then, on the way home, during a layover in Atlanta, they said 17 others went to the hospital to get checked out.

No one had to spend the night in a hospital, but athletes said some did need to be hydrated via IV.

Athletes describe students feeling sick to their stomachs, and report many throwing up either in Orlando, or on the plane ride to Atlanta.

Those involved wanted to express their thanks to college staff and coaches for responding well to the situation, and for taking good care of them.

60 sick with norovirus after dining at Duluth ballroom

The Minnesota Department of Health on Friday said at least 60 people became sick after eating contaminated food at two events at downtown Duluth’s Greysolon Plaza Ballroom on Dec. 3.

That report was up from 40 people as of Thursday.

Trisha Robinson, a senior epidemiologist with the health department, said it appears the culprit was norovirus, the most common food-related illness in Minnesota, which is often spread by food-handlers who don’t thoroughly wash their hands.

People who have been ill should also refrain from preparing food, commercially or for their own families, for an additional 72 hours after they recover, Robinson said. The virus, which moves from anal to oral contact, is not easily spread by casual contact but moves fast through contaminated food.

Greysolon Ballroom remains open and able to serve food, Robinson said, but Department of Health staff members have been on site to make sure the facility is taking proper precautions to prevent the problem from happening again.

About 250 people attended one event and 100 attended the other at the Greysolon, state officials said. One was a wedding and the other a private party.

Dozens ill after eating at Minnesota ballroom

The Minnesota Department of Health has identified more than 40 people who reported becoming ill after eating at the Greysolon Ballroom in Duluth, Minnesota, on Saturday and “we suspect there could be more,” said Doug Schultz of the department’s communications office.

About 250 people attended one event and 100 attended the other at the Greysolon, Schultz said. One was a wedding and the other a private party. The outbreak was first reported to the health department on Tuesday, he said.

The food was served by Greysolon Ballroom By Blackwoods and the business is cooperating with the investigation, he said.

As part of the investigation, investigators will check whether there are enough handwashing sinks at the establishment, if the refrigeration temperatures are adequate and whether any employees have been ill.