The suspected cause is pork rolls from a northern suburbs bakery. NSW Food Authority today confirmed it had launched an investigation following a request from NSW Health.
Northern Sydney Local Health District said eight patients had been admitted to Hornsby Hospital this week after contracting salmonella. A further three patients were admitted to the Sydney Adventist Hospital nearby.
A 46-year-old woman and her mother both experienced symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, headaches and fever.
The woman, who wished to remain unnamed, sought medical attention from her doctor and was not part of the 11 people admitted at the two hospitals.
“My mother and I were so sick on Tuesday night after eating from (the food outlet),” she said.
“I’m still having headaches and (my mother) is so sick she hasn’t been able to get to the hospital for treatment.”
“(NSW Food Authority) has prevented any further sale of the suspected food items from the outlet.”
He said there was no ongoing risk because the product is no longer for sale.
Would-be epidemiologist and school principal Agnes Camacho figures it was the school breakfast of egg salad and melon that made almost 300 students ill at Marcial A. Sablan Elementary School in Guam.
Sablan told PNC News, "At around 9:45 several students came into the office complaining about stomach aches and they were vomiting and then another 15 minutes several more came in and we said that’s a high number right so we started documenting their vomiting and stomach aches and then another fifteen minutes they were just coming in students were coming in we had a total of 102 students who were registered with the vomiting.”
Anxious parents flooded the schools with phone calls while others came in person to find out if their children had been sent to the hospital.
At Marcial Sablan elementary school hallways were lined with vomit, "It’s just very scary the hallways here this wall this wall behind and both sides were filled with students sitting and then in the nurses office also… and each of them had trash bags and they were all vomiting,” said Camacho.