‘Name-and-shame is a good thing because it gives the public vital information’ South Australia frustrated by legal process

A filthy, cockroach-infested St Peters restaurant fined more than $100,000 has not been added to the State Government’s name-and-shame register, despite being convicted almost two months ago.

On February 12, Imperial Peking admitted to 31 counts of breaching the state’s food safety code, after cockroaches were found on benches, walls, floors and cooking equipment.

The Eastern Health Authority (EHA) – which prosecuted the restaurant – said it should not have to jump through hoops to get convicted businesses Imperial Pekingadded to the register.

EHA chief executive Michael Livori said it the process to get convicted businesses on the register was long-winded and bureaucratic, including having to wait for the sentencing magistrate to publish remarks.

“It should be automatic or the process could be streamlined,” Mr Livori said.

“We shouldn’t have to fill in numerous forms and have to provide A, B and C to get a company on the register.

“Do I think the Department of Health could look to improve the time frame? I would answer, ‘yes’.”

An SA Health spokeswoman said it could not add premises to the register until the legal process had been completed, including waiting for the 28-day appeal window to lapse.

$104K fine for repeat Chinese restaurant failure in Australia

This sounds about right for Australian time.

But at least they have decent penalties.

The Imperial Peking restaurant at Saint Peters in Adelaide was visited by health-types 12 times between 2006 and 2013 and served warning notices on each occasion. The Chinese takeaway was closed for eight Imperial Pekingdays in December 2012.

Prosecutor Paul Kelly told Magistrates Court that failures included insufficient hygiene training of staff.

“This is a significant food business over a number of years. The offending has occurred over a sustained period against a backdrop of warnings … and it continued after the business reopened in December 2012.”

He said the restaurant closure in 2012 saw a sign put up saying it was closed ‘due to a gas leak’.

He fined the company, MustWin Investments Pty Ltd, its cook manager Joel Zhuo Bin Guan, and one of its directors, Di Fei Huang, a total of $104,000 plus costs.