Dead rat restaurant is fined $97,000 in Sydney

Speak softly and carry a big stick seems to have been adopted by New South Wales.

An Indian restaurant in Sydney’s Kings Cross has been fined almost $100,000 after inspectors found a dead rat and cockroaches in the kitchen.

An inspection last December following a customer complaint found rat feces, food stored on the floor, accumulated dirt, grease-encrusted equipment and a large dead rat behind a garbage bin.

The City of Sydney launched legal proceedings against the restaurant, alleging the owner had failed to maintain clean, sanitary and hygienic conditions as required by the Food Act.

The owners of the Kings Cross takeaway pleaded guilty in court to 13 counts of failing to comply with the Food Standards Code.

City of Sydney CEO Monica Barone said most Sydney food businesses delivered high standards of hygiene and food safety.

“The outcome of this case should serve as a warning to food businesses who don’t follow the rules and who put people’s health at risk,” she said.

The restaurant was fined $97,500, or $7500 for each of the 13 offences.