Boy, 10, dies eight years after he was paralysed by contaminated Lidl beefburger

Nolan Moittie was 23-months-old when he became one of 15 children in the Hauts-de-France region to fall ill having eaten beef contaminated with E. coli.

The boy was left paralysed for life, unable to walk, talk or eat.

Yesterday he was rushed to intensive care when his heart stopped beating.

He died shortly afterwards, despite medics’ efforts to revive him, Le Parisien reported.

The other children suffer from conditions that will affect their kidneys for the rest of their lives.

The lawyer of Nolan’s family, Florence Rault, said the boy had suffered a ‘real ordeal since the accident’.

Bosses at Seb-Cerf, who marketed frozen steaks under the Steak Country brand, were tried at Douai Criminal Court in northern France in 2017.

Former boss Guy Lamorlette, 78, was sentenced to three years in prison for failing to carry out checks on the meat.

He was also banned from any industrial or commercial activity and ordered to pay damages to the victims.

At a February hearing Lamorlette tried to blame Laurent Appere, the company’s former quality manager who died just before the trial began.

Lamorlette is said to be considering an appeal.

Nolan’s family lawyer, Florence Rault, told Le Parisien: “I hope that the person responsible for this tragedy will have the decency to withdraw his appeal on points of law.

“At the first trial, he did not even want to watch Nolan, now he must serve his sentence and Nolan’s parents must be able to be compensated and mourn.”

French boy permanently disabled by E. coli in frozen beef

In June, 2011, eight children in Northern France were initially diagnosed with E. coli O157 after eating beef burgers bought from German discount retailer, Lidl.

In May 2012, the Institut de veille sanitaire summarized the outbreak, and revealed 17 children were sickened, 16 from E. coli O157-O177 and 1 due to E. coli O157-O26.

Now, a trial has begun for two former executives of French frozen food company SEB, charged with a “deliberate violation of safety obligations” that put customers at risk and caused involuntary injuries. Their trial began on Tuesday, June 6, and the two men face prison if convicted.

SEB has since gone out of business.

According to The Local, in 2011 a two-year-old boy named Nolan Moittie was one of 17 people in France who became seriously ill after eating steak hachés, or chopped steak patties, that were contaminated with E. coli bacteria, and which had been sold frozen at a Lidl grocery store. The illness caused the two-year-old boy to have a heart attack and fall into a coma while in the hospital.

The E. coli infection caused irreversible damage, and while Moittie survived and is now eight years old, he can’t talk and no longer has the use of 80 percent of his body. Doctors say the damage is irreversible.

But neither man is accepting responsibility and the defense is claiming that the illness from the minced beef was a result of consumers not storing and preparing them properly. 
Just cook it doesn’t cut it.
“Money as they say, won’t bring you happiness,  and it won’t help my son get back to how he was before,” his mother Priscilla said.
Steak hachés are a staple dish in France, particularly among children. In 2009 some 250,000 tonnes were sold, half of which were sold as frozen products.

Victims of French E. coli O157 outbreak want to know why it happened; courts slow to respond

Nine-year-old Ugo Picot was stricken with E. coli O157:H7 linked to frozen meatballs in tomato sauce in June 2011.

Ugo was one of eight children in Northern France confirmed with E. coli O157 after eating beef bought from German retailer, Lidl.

When his mother took him to the hospital because of persistent vomiting, she was told, “gastroenteritis is seven days, it is only five,” and was sent home.

As reported in today’s edition of La Voix du Nord, "One morning, Ugo is not well at all. I felt like my heart would stop beating. Back in the hospital and the beginning of the nightmare. Helicopter transfer to hospital of Lille, a tube in his stomach: dialysis, to flush the kidneys.”

Didier Picot and Virginia were told Ugo had developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS); Virginia still trembles at the memory of a psychiatrist come "talk of death" to his son.

A year later, Ugo is a small boy of nine who tires more easily than others, and his kidneys will return to normal functioning.

In the corridors of the hospital in Lille, she met the parents of other small children, and that most had bought ground meat brand Country Steak at Lidl.

The parents have launched legal action, but progress is slow.

Albert Amgar writes on his blog that it is rare in France to hear the voice of those who have suffered from food poisoning.

Police question hamburger producer in France following E. coli O157 outbreak; more hearings to come

(Translated by the students in FREN3310 Introduction to French to English translation at the University of Queensland)

This is something not seen in the U.S.

Following an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak which sickened up to 10 children in Northern France in June, 2011, three directors, including the president of the French frozen beef patty manufacturer SEB, were detained and questioned, according to information released by the Douai prosecutor’s office on Wednesday.

SEB’s CEO Guy Lamorlette, the director of quality control, and the quality technician were taken into custody on Tuesday morning by Lille Police investigators and the Public Health Department. According to the Prosecutor Eric Vaillant in Douai, the police then began searching the business.

The three directors were released Tuesday at 10 p.m., added the prosecutor, who will decide whether to open a judicial inquiry in the coming days. The three men could be given three years in prison and fined 45,000 euros for involuntary injuries.

At least two other members of SEB’s management will be interviewed on Wednesday, announced the prosecution.

The discount chain Lidl, who represented 60% of SEB’s orders, terminated their contract with the manufacturer in August. Headquartered in Saint-Dizier (Haunte-Marne), SEB has 140 employees and is in receivership.

A preliminary inquiry into involuntary injuries is in the hands of the Douai prosecutor’s office, and nine families have filed complaints.

Since June, around 10 cases of E. coli O157 have been confirmed among children in the North of France, according to the regional health authority (ARS). Several of the children had consumed frozen beef patties manufactured by SEB.

Lidl breaks contract with supplier of ground beef in France after E. coli outbreak

Kroger, you may want to revisit Cargill as a supplier of ground turkey after the Salmonella Heidelberg outbreak which has now sickened 107 including one death.

German-owned French retailer Lidl has just terminated a 20-year relationship with its primary hamburger supplier, SEB, after those burgers were implicated in an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak in the Lille region of France earlier this year.

8 kids sick with E. coli from burgers in France

Eight children in Northern France have been admitted to hospital after eating beef burgers bought frozen from the German discount chain Lidl.

"One of the children was put on dialysis overnight," Health Minister Xavier Bertrand said on Radio Classique. "His condition has worsened."

The children, all aged between 20 months and 8 years, fell ill with symptoms such as bloody diarrhea. One was discharged from hospital on Wednesday.

Health authorities have blamed the contagion on beef burgers sold frozen for distribution under the "Steaks Country" label.

Privately-owned Lidl, which distributes burgers that are produced by French frozen-beef supplier SEB-CERF, has pulled all "Steaks Country" brand burgers from supermarket shelves.