Beware those samples: 24 students in Phillipines barfing

At least 24 students are being treated inside the emergency room of the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) after they complained of vomiting, abdominal pain and dizziness Wednesday, September 28.

concord-national-school-in-barangay-basak-san-nicolasThe students, from Concord National School in Barangay Basak San Nicolas, vomited at least five times after reportedly drinking a bottled coffee drink, which was distributed as sample at the school past 3 p.m. Wednesday.

According to Kenneth Siasar, hospital administrator of CCMC, the patients are now in stable condition.

Over 700 sick from noro in Philipines

The Department of Health (DOH) and Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) revealed Tuesday that the diarrhea outbreak in the city that started last week was caused by Norovirus.

norovirus-resized-600.jpgCity Health Officer Dr. Rodel Agbulos said norovirus is a highly contagious virus and can be obtained from an infected person, contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces.

About 707 cases of Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE) were admitted in the different government and private hospitals in the city from March 28 to April 16, 2016.

An increase in the admission of acute gastroenteritis cases was noted and reported starting April 4.

Three  children died due to acute gastroenteritis coupled with pneumonia and malnutrition, the city health office reported.

Agbulos said more than half of the cases were from the pediatric group particularly under five years old but all age groups were affected.

Food poisoning downs over 100 students in Phillipines

Snacks bought from the cafeteria downed over 100 students and a teacher at the Pio del Pilar Elementary School in Makati City on Thursday, according to the city health department.

inagiku-coverIn an interview on GMA News TV’s “QRT,” city health department chief Dr. Bernard Sese said the children ate biscuits, wafers and other snacks from their school cafeteria during their morning recess at 9:30 a.m.

Seven students complained of stomachaches, vomiting, and nausea by 10:30 a.m. at the school clinic and were followed shortly by a slew of others, he said.

About 44 victims were rushed to the Ospital ng Makati, where they received oral dehydration solutions. Two remained hooked to IV bags at the hospital due to intense vomiting as of Thursday afternoon.

All in all, 127 students had received treatment, the report said.

Senator wants dog meat investigation in Philippines

Dog meat has entered into Philippine mainstream consciousness and has spawned a dish called asocena which is meant to be eaten as a side dish during drinking sessions.

So, according to Bikyamasr, Philippines Senator Manuel Villar Jr. is hoping to open an inquiry into the reported prevalence of the illegal dog meat trade to tighten existing animal protection laws.

However, local animal rights activists say it is not enough, arguing that the senator wants to maintain the practice “and not do the right thing by ending dog slaughter altogether.”

Dog meat eating has existed as a long-standing cultural phenomenon in the Northern provinces of the Philippines, traditionally associated with celebratory events and rituals of mourning.

Maria Pillar told that “the use of dogs for food is wrong and backward. Just because it was traditional in the country doesn’t mean we should keep it. It was part of our culture to keep women at home, but that has changed.”

Villar said.some 500,000 dogs are slaughtered for sale every year.

Maggi instant noodles recalled after testing positive for salmonella

All Maggi instant noodles are being recalled by Nestlé Philippines after two batches of the beef-flavored Maggi Rich Mami Noodles were found to have traces of salmonella after a routine quality test.

The company said it is recalling all of its Maggi instant noodles, including the chicken-flavored instant noodles, from all production batches, as a precautionary measure.

The initial findings suggest that the flavoring ingredients that come with the instant noodles in sachet may have caused the salmonella contamination, Nestlé said.

Nestlé explained that the product is safe to eat if the cooking instructions are followed.

But that doesn’t account for cross-contamination during preparation.

Puffer fish fells 7 in Philippines

Seven Badjao natives were rushed to hospital after eating puffer fish that they caught during the weekend.

Rosenda Kaluman said her husband, Mejame, started vomiting and contracted diarrhea last night after he and his neighbors ate 2 kilos of puffer fish that they caught at Matina Aplaya in Davao City.

Doctors said all 7 patients were poisoned after ingesting tetrodotoxin from the fish, which is more dangerous than cyanide.