Salmonella strikes baby at 4-star hotel

A couple whose baby fell seriously ill with food poisoning at a four-star hotel are taking action against holiday firm Thomson.??

Metropolitan police officer Ediz Mevlit, 35, and wife Jenny said today it was “terrifying” watching daughter Melissa suffer from the salmonella (photo, right, from the Evening Standard).

The London Evening Standard reports that the child, now 15-months-old, contracted the bacteria on a £1,500 Moroccan holiday to the Royal Atlas hotel in September, the family’s first foreign trip.

Mrs Mevlit, 28, said her daughter was sick for three weeks and may suffer long-term health problems.

The couple also had mild stomach cramps. They said they spoke to others who suffered food poisoning at the hotel. One couple reported on website Trip Advisor that much of what was available at the Royal Atlas was “inedible.”

The 338-bedroom hotel in Agadir is exclusive to Thomson customers. Thomson said all the hotels it used “are closely monitored to ensure the highest health, safety and comfort levels are maintained”, adding: “As this case is being investigated by our legal team, we are unfortunately unable to comment any further.”