On the toilet 30X a day: UK couple’s Mexico holiday hell after contracting Cyclospora

Tony Larner of the Mirror reports a British couple’s dream Mexican holiday was left in tatters after they were struck down Cyclospora.

hanging.on.in.quiet.desperationSandra and Lee Harper splashed out £3,700 on an all-inclusive Thomson break to Riviera Maya resort, near Cancun.

But the couple, from Birmingham, were unable to leave their room for almost a week after falling ill with Cyclospora and needing the toilet up to 30 times every day.

The pair claim they complained about their illness and hygiene issues at their hotel to Thomson, but did not got a reply until after they arrived home, the Birmingham Mail reported.

UK Health officials have issued warnings about visiting the area after almost 100 Brits were struck down with the bug since the outbreak began in June.

A spokesthingy for Thomson said: “Public Health England has advised us of a number of sickness cases associated to an issue called Cyclospora in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico.”

An issue called Cyclospora?

“Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.”

’What do you expect in a hotel full of 400 people;’ holiday from hell for UK couple

It’s becoming a standard headline out of the U.K. – folks trying to leave the dreariness of England and end up barfing at some Mediterranean resort.

The North-West Evening Mail reports that Tony and Linda Kneale are among 28 holidaymakers from the UK involved in legal action against Thomson over claims it failed to protect tourists from illness at the Los Gigantes Hotel in Tenerife.

The couple, of Jesmond Avenue, Barrow, had spent over £1,800 for a fortnight at the ‘Gold’ status hotel.

But their dream break became a holiday from hell when, on arrival, they received a factsheet saying there was a norovirus outbreak.

61-year-old Mrs Kneale spent two days confined to her bed, and lost around half a stone. She became so weak she could barely walk further than her hotel room.

Mrs Kneale, who, along with her husband had been keen to get away after missing out on a holiday last year when she lost her mother, said: “ I had absolutely no appetite and I had a fever. It’s a nasty bug. …

“When I first got the virus, the travel rep said: ‘What do you expect in a hotel full of 400 people?’ They were defensive about it, almost blasé about it.”

UK operator ordered to pay damages to tourists sickened in Spain

British tourists always seem to be getting sick on their vacations to southern locales and they always seem to be battling with tour operators.

In 2003, a bunch went to Baulo Hotel in Majorca and contracted either salmonella from poorly prepared food or cryptosporidium from the swimming pool.

In 2006, the claimants initiated legal action.

Today a judge ruled that one of the UK’s largest tour operators should have warned holidaymakers about an outbreak of illness at a Spanish resort.

The judge said that Thomson, which is now part of the larger European Tui group, was liable for damages.

In what may have wider implications for the travel industry, the judge also ruled that Thomson ought to have warned guests about the outbreak at the hotel before they travelled, in order to give them an opportunity to either rebook or cancel, but had failed to do so.

Thomson accepted its liability in the salmonella cases, but argued that in the cases of cryptosporidium, it could not have done more to get rid of the illness from the resort, adding,

"We are very disappointed with the decision as we sincerely believe that we did everything in our power to safeguard our customers’ wellbeing at the time."

The company said the real winners would be "the ‘no win no fee’ solicitors involved."
 

Salmonella strikes baby at 4-star hotel

A couple whose baby fell seriously ill with food poisoning at a four-star hotel are taking action against holiday firm Thomson.??

Metropolitan police officer Ediz Mevlit, 35, and wife Jenny said today it was “terrifying” watching daughter Melissa suffer from the salmonella (photo, right, from the Evening Standard).

The London Evening Standard reports that the child, now 15-months-old, contracted the bacteria on a £1,500 Moroccan holiday to the Royal Atlas hotel in September, the family’s first foreign trip.

Mrs Mevlit, 28, said her daughter was sick for three weeks and may suffer long-term health problems.

The couple also had mild stomach cramps. They said they spoke to others who suffered food poisoning at the hotel. One couple reported on website Trip Advisor that much of what was available at the Royal Atlas was “inedible.”

The 338-bedroom hotel in Agadir is exclusive to Thomson customers. Thomson said all the hotels it used “are closely monitored to ensure the highest health, safety and comfort levels are maintained”, adding: “As this case is being investigated by our legal team, we are unfortunately unable to comment any further.”

Barf and barfblog, personal and travel versions

Amy started barfing about 10 p.m. Thursday night. Daughter Sorenne woke up about 6 a.m., covered in barf. I felt fine, did laundry and chores, fed Sorenne some stuff about 9 a.m. before I had to go give a lecture to the third-year Vet class.

She projectile vomited all over me.

Emma the excellent babysitter showed up at 9 a.m., I did my talk about barfblog, smelling like baby barf, and came home and took care of things.

About 11 p.m. Friday night, I started barfing.

We had friends over for dinner Thursday night, but they seem fine, so probably something we ate earlier in the week. There was perhaps some dodgy seafood, but I cooked it thoroughly, verifying the results with a tip-sensitive digital thermometer.

There are so many unknowns with foodborne illness it’s amazing anything gets linked back to an original source.

There was a lot of barfing at the four-star Los Gigantes Hotel – a property exclusive to Thomson on an island belonging to Spain on the west coast.

The U.K.Telegraph reports it is alleged that Thomson failed to ensure proper hygiene standards were enforced and did not provide adequate assistance or information as to the severity of the outbreak.

Thomson said in a statement:

"In January, an independent hygiene consultant confirmed that the hotel was operating to the highest standards and concluded that a viral agent was the most probable cause of any illness. The hotel has adopted procedures set by its own consultants and local government. The hygiene consultant witnessed these and has advised that they appear to follow good practice. There is advisory documentation on personal hygiene in bedrooms and sanitising gel stations are located in the main restaurant."

Thomson said that normal booking conditions will continue to apply, therefore amendments to holidays at the hotel will be subject to charge.

That’s a polite way of saying, screw you, sickies.