In response to Tuesday’s reports of 1,200 gallons of cider testing positive for Shiga-toxin producing E. coli, Uncle John’s Cider Mill called it “the worst thing that has ever happened to us as a family business in 45 years.”
Today when pondering what to post, we have two topics: test results or our gratitude. Most important to us today is our gratitude. Yesterday we were faced with the worst thing that has ever happened to us as a family business in 45 years. Our staff, friends and family all stepped up to help. They didn’t have to, but they did.
As we took the time to read our Facebook posts last night, our eyes swelled with tears over the support of the community and our loyal customers. …”
In a separate statement on the company’s website, Uncle John’s said they are working closely with the MDARD to find the cause of the positive E. coli test. As of now, no illnesses have been reported. Shiga-toxin producing E. coli was picked up by a “routine, random” sample collected by an MDARD inspector.
Uncle Jonh’s opened as a cider mill in 1970 and is just north of Lansing on the way to Mount Pleasant on U.S. 127.